Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am considering doing a boot build... myself :)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am considering doing a boot build... myself :)

Hey!

In Short - Can you give me any information on making my own boot build? (I am a newbie, so explain well :P)

In Long - I am a total newbie at this, and I've never even attempted anything like it in my life
    So basically, I have been searching around, spending endless hours searching for an ideal dual subwoofer enclosure for my Black mk4 astra SXi
    After going to TRAX 2008 and seeing all of the nice boot builds in various cars I have taken a sudden interest and would love to be able to make something smiilar!

Obviously I understand it will be NO WAY near as good, but I'd still like to give it a go, and try my best

So... I was wondering if you guys could help me out, especially those who have a lot of experience in this particular area, so I was wondering...
    Does anybody have any useful links to website's? books? or general information that I may find useful? or perhaps some modification diaries/personal auto-biographys? or home-made "How-To's?"
    What are the essentials that i need to know?

Thankyou in advance!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you need to look at what you want, 1 sub 2 sub 3 subs etc, how big 10" 12" 15" or bigger,

how many amps are you going to want/need.

Will you want to use your sapre wheel or boot, will you be keeping rear seats or removing

then you need to look at other factors such as, will you need to upgrade batteries alternator, perhaps run extra battery(s) to cope with what you want,

then what shape, usual square box, dual box..custom made witl fibre glass

then its basically up to your imagination and skills as to what you acan do. ANYTHING is possible if you put you mind to it take your time and hazve the funds lol
    - Black 2.0 SRi DTi Mk4 Astra -

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh right

Well this is what I'm looking for, ideally...

- 2 subwoofers, (before i go on, do these need to be 'ported' for better sound? or anything like that?)

- 1 amp preferably, but 2 i think i need a monoblock for the subs? and multi-channel for the in-car speakers? not 100% on amps, but ill need whatever i need

- Preferebly i would like to keep the spare wheel in the boot (that's a point, will this even be acessible if i have a boot build :S)

- Keeping the rear seats

- Batteries... errrr I'm lost now, i thought that it may need to be upgraded, but not sure what i will need

- I was thinking of one subwoofer each side wall of the boot, with space in the middle? that's a commn thing right? as to positioning the usbs themselves, im not sure what to do?

- Boot build vs. custom made? which is better for sound quality?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    check out the modification diaries and see what you like, thats the best advice I can give you. also see if you can meet with anyone local who has a boot build so you can see what they have and the kind of results that it produces. there is no point whatsoever in deciding you want 1 of these 2 of those etc etc if you have no idea on what it'll end up sounding/looking like

keep it simple, and you will produce better results. especially for someone new at it. just roll your sleeves up and have a go!!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano_Sxi View Post
    Oh right

Well this is what I'm looking for, ideally...

- 2 subwoofers, (before i go on, do these need to be 'ported' for better sound? or anything like that?) if you port them you tend to get a deeper bass.BUT you will need to know what you are doing as if the "hole" is too big or too small it will sound sh@te

- 1 amp preferably, but 2 i think i need a monoblock for the subs? and multi-channel for the in-car speakers? not 100% on amps, but ill need whatever i need depends on your subs really and how you want to do things, if your upgrading all speakers in car (4) then a 4 channel amp would be better or if you sticking some chav x nines in back then you could power them and A sub from the same one

- Preferebly i would like to keep the spare wheel in the boot (that's a point, will this even be acessible if i have a boot build :S) depends how you build it really, they have been made to be accessed but this is harder and takes more thinking about as if you put in a false floor its almost impossible to get to easily

- Keeping the rear seats no worries

- Batteries... errrr I'm lost now, i thought that it may need to be upgraded, but not sure what i will need, if its only a small set up and not drawing super amounts from your bettery you should be fine (when i had my corsa i upgraded to the diesle model battery and alternator unsure if this is poss with astras iv not looked into it)

- I was thinking of one subwoofer each side wall of the boot, with space in the middle? that's a commn thing right? as to positioning the usbs themselves, im not sure what to do? there is'nt a common thing as such as everybodys needs and preference differ from the next

- Boot build vs. custom made? which is better for sound quality?
    tbh if you want to keep you wheel and have some boot space i would prob simplify things,specially with it been you 1st install,

so 1 sub pay the same amount of money on 1 that you would 2) and the qualioty will prob be alot better.

upgrade you in car speakers with a good set of comps up front unsure on back but would be better to do this to to give a better sound stage.

run 1 4 channel amp for these and 1 monoblock amp for your sub

another thing to consider is the cabling, its pointless spending ££££'s on equipment and then buying the cheapest naffest cables you can find.

i also reccomend (not necc) to use 2 fuses a large one under bonnett as close to battery as poss, then a smaller one in boot that can easily be accessed

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.mitchell1984 View Post
    i also reccomend (not necc) to use 2 fuses a large one under bonnett as close to battery as poss, then a smaller one in boot that can easily be accessed
    it is ESSENTIAL that you fit a fuse under the bonnet, near the battery!!!!

any amps you have will be fused as well don't forget.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fusing?

that's something I've not heard before... what do you men by fitting a fuse?
    any pictures or diagrams?

P.S. thanks for the big replys so far, I'm finding it all very interesting read!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peteg2004 View Post
    it is ESSENTIAL that you fit a fuse under the bonnet, near the battery!!!!

any amps you have will be fused as well don't forget.

sorry i wasnt clear, yes u need a fuse near the battery but you dont need a 2nd in boot.sorry

a fuse basically site in you power cable from battery to amp, same thing as is in your plugs at home (hopefully) but on a biogger scale

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.mitchell1984 View Post
    sorry i wasnt clear, yes u need a fuse near the battery but you dont need a 2nd in boot.sorry

a fuse basically site in you power cable from battery to amp, same thing as is in your plugs at home (hopefully) but on a biogger scale
    oh rite, so it kinda runs in the cable wiring then? as in the cable will be attatched to one end of the fuse, and come out the other?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats it ye, if you buy an amp wiring kit it should come with this, has athe fuse holder and fuse in, there are diffwerent kits dependant on how much wattage you intend to be running, as the more wattage the thicker cable is needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast