Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springs On Car With Wrong Engine?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Springs On Car With Wrong Engine?

What would happen if you put the following springs:

http://www.toys4cars.co.uk/index.php...42e56e5034f387

On either the 2.0, 2.2 or 2.0T cars? (I'm using these springs as an example, same question whether it's Eibach, Spax etc etc)

It says they are only for the 1.6 & 1.8 engines. So what would/could happen if you fit them to an Astra G hatchback with a different engine such as the 2.0, 2.2 or 2.0T?

Just a curious question, I'm not looking to change my Eibachs for Jamex lol.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its just the weight difference. Car may be 45-50mm lower rather than 40mm for example.

And as the coils will be compressed more, it would probably give a harder ride and effect handling.

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Aye Whitey put 1.6 hatch springs on his GSi and it just sat a bit lower

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Its just the weight difference. Car may be 45-50mm lower rather than 40mm for example.

And as the coils will be compressed more, it would probably give a harder ride and effect handling.
    This is what I thought, but would the extra weight on those springs which are sold to be used on a lighter engine mean that the car could be dangerous on the road IE: have adverse effects on the handling which could put it in a field/on its roof. Would the springs be compressed so much that they could potentially break?

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You've essentially got a light spring trying to cope with a heavy weight. It will obviously compress more due to the extra weight, and sit a bit lower than it would on the 'right' car.

Also it bounce and rebound more, as it's got more weight to counter, which will mean the shock will have to work harder to control the oscillations - which will wear it quicker, and the occilates will get worse (as with any shock when it wears)

At worst the springs will bind (max compression) and transmit forces to other suspension components that aren't designed to take direct impact loading - inner wings, wishbone mountings and such like. Heavy impact loading can cause springs to fail, but it would need continual and sustained binding.

All the above is worse case scenario, and the car would no doubt be undrivable long before then. But I'm sure there are some cars about there like this

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    You've essentially got a light spring trying to cope with a heavy weight. It will obviously compress more due to the extra weight, and sit a bit lower than it would on the 'right' car.

Also it bounce and rebound more, as it's got more weight to counter, which will mean the shock will have to work harder to control the oscillations - which will wear it quicker, and the occilates will get worse (as with any shock when it wears)

At worst the springs will bind (max compression) and transmit forces to other suspension components that aren't designed to take direct impact loading - inner wings, wishbone mountings and such like. Heavy impact loading can cause springs to fail, but it would need continual and sustained binding.

All the above is worse case scenario, and the car would no doubt be undrivable long before then. But I'm sure there are some cars about there like this
    That's pretty much what I was looking for. Cheers

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just thought I'd throw this in here as it's kind of the same topic.

Most companies only seem to to lowering springs for the 1.6 and bigger engines, but over here in Ireland most astras are 1.4 (Astra g I'm on about btw).

Are there some companies that do springs for the 1.4 or would ones for a 1.6 do? Do eibach do them for a 1.4 as everyone seems to recommend them?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hi_im_fil View Post
    Just thought I'd throw this in here as it's kind of the same topic.

Most companies only seem to to lowering springs for the 1.6 and bigger engines, but over here in Ireland most astras are 1.4 (Astra g I'm on about btw).

Are there some companies that do springs for the 1.4 or would ones for a 1.6 do? Do eibach do them for a 1.4 as everyone seems to recommend them?
    you can use 1.6 ones, but won't sit the full 40mm/60mm or what ever size as the weight conversion of 1.4 a bit lighter than the 1.6, u won't really notice it tho.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have had a set of kw coilovers on my coupe 2.0 turbo for over a year now and there only for hatch up to 1.8

no problems atall,infact there probally the best set of coilovers ive ever had and ive pretty much had them all

cant see any problems really,like said it may just sit a lilte lower

Status
    In House Designer
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have some KW coils on my 1.8 which are ment for the turbo. rides great.

want to swap jayz lol?
    Visit our-formats.com for creative design services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast