Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a run in with the police tonight. What a pair of...

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Had a run in with the police tonight. What a pair of...

.... polite, proffesional people they were!

Let me set the scene my telling you that I have been expriencing some problems with my NS front indicator. When my car was serviced I got them to take a look at it and the problem was down to a poor connection in the bulb holder. As the part is on worldwide back order they opted to bend the metal connection so it met properly with the bulb. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago when I hit a pothole which must've dislodged the connection meaning that the functionality of the indicator is a bit intermittent.

So, it's about 7.45 and I'm on my way home. I see an Octavia come up behind me and I wonder if it may be the police. Having had to make a couple of left turns I was not at all suprised to be pulled over in the next bus layby.

It was the usual affair. I show them ID, they have a little chat with me, do the 'attitude test', etc. Then they get onto the "why did I pull you over" and I say that I suspect that it's my indicator and explain the story.

While one of the guys does his thing on the computer the other chap tells me that they were a bit concerned that I had undertaken someone. Although I'm not sure where this happened I think it may have been when I (accidently) got in the wrong lane at traffic lights and when they changed I moved back over to the right hand lane effectively undertaking the queue that I should have been at the back of. I hadn't knowingly done it but apologised anyway.

The next thing to go through my mind is that I havn't yet recieved my V5. It should be ok though as I phoned the garage on Saturday to check they'd sent it and they assured me it had been sent off and I should expect to get it from the DVLA at the beginning of this week.

Matey from the car comes back and tells me that not only is the vehicle is not registered in my name but also that it's not listed as insured! Even though I know everything is above board I couldn't help but worry. To them it must look terrible: I'm a young(ish) driver in a drug dealer car, which does not appear to be registered to me or insued. Also, I must've been less than 400m away from the local redlight area and I was on the way home from some playing Volleyball with the guys from work so I was in a nike t-shirt, crop trousers and bright white trainers (basicly looked a complete chav!).

Anyway, I tell the officer who I'm insured with and offer to take them to my flat to show them the certificate. He says that won't be necessary and heads off to make some phone calls. The other guy then has a little chat with me about my car. It's friendly but I know he's giving me the chance to give him enough information for him to be confident that it is my car. He asks how much insurance is, where I got it and how much I paid. I tell him that it was quite a good price due to needing a bit of work which I the told him all about. I also told him the name of the previous owner and that it was previously on a private plate. I think this did enough to satisfy him that I own the car.

At that point the other chap comes back and says that my car is in fact insured and that my insurance company (performance direct) are often found to take upto 8 weeks to log new policies with the insurance database.

They said they were confident that I'd get my indicator sorted and after some politeness and even a bit of small talk I was on my way again. What a nice pair of chaps. Credit to the force. In fact, I might even write to Barton at TV to let him know how satisfied I was with their service.

Steve
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good on you for complimenting them

It's good to hear these type of stories, instead of the rants

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskell View Post
    Good on you for complimenting them

It's good to hear these type of stories, instead of the rants
    Yeah those kind of rants really get on my tits. Hence why I spent bloody ages typing all that crap that hardly anyone will bother to read!
    Nova Merit: 2000-2003 // Irmschered Astra SRi: 2003-2005 // Leon Cupra R: 2005 - 2006 // Linea Rossa Convertible Turbo: 2006-2008 // BMW 840Ci: 2008 - 2012

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    kiss and and a cuddle

everyones happy..

why was u dressed as a chav heading towards a redlight district?

mm.....
    1.8 16v 99 T plate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Too right, and it just goes to show how far you can get with the cops by merely being cooperative and polite

Well done

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    It just shows that if you keep your cool, and are honest, you get respect on both sides. Am pleased to hear the outcome was good.

A shame your insurance company takes 8 weeks to log new policies tho.
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Never had a problem with the police. I'm always polite and helpful to them with whatever they need so they have no reason to have a problem with me. Most of the people who reckon they're all asshats are the ones who mouth off to them or are doing something illegal in the first place and then moan when they get caught.
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

Status
    The Modfather
    Mentioned in
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Add James on Facebook
    Im intrigued about this red light district, more details required.

Glad you had a good experiance.
    "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel, is only the train coming to finish you off"

The skunk is not dead, it just has a new smell!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fair play to you mate. i find if you speak to them how you would like to be spoken to they are normally fine.

nice to see not everyone has a big gobby mouth

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im sorry if you were 6 years younger it would be a different story

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast