Thread: 308 Coversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

308 Coversion

Well my car had the 308 brake conversion when i bought it. Today i went to get some new rubbers fitted and whilst the wheels were off noticed something that quite frankly scares me.

I can spin, lift and move around the brake disk. The only thing holding it secure are the wheel bolts when they are on. Im i getting worked up over nothing or am i right to be worried.

Also when i put the wheels on obvisouly the disk isnt centralised as its freely movable.

Sorry if this dont make sence but im sure it will to someone who had had the conversion

Scotty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There should be a little screw to stop the disc falling off, but the main fixing is the wheel bolts. So, you've nothing to worry about safety wise.
    2007 Metro Blue 5 door Mk5 Elite 1.7CDTI
    6th Vauxhall (4th Astra) in 10 years...plus a couple of other sheds...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    but if its freely movable without the wheel on how am i ment to align it all when putting it back together?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it shouldnt move out wards it may spin round so when you do the wheels up the disk should be held in the centre

if it is bothering you that much get a garage to drill out and tap the old screw as no doubt it will be broken off in the hole and then replace it with a new screw

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    As your car is 4-stud and it has had a 308 conversion usign re-drilled 5-stud discs there will be no little screw to retain the disc to the wheel hub as is conventional.

Align the bolt holes using the wheel bolts first then I would imaging get someone to press the brake pedel before fitting the wheel with a couple of wheel bolts, or if it has had a spigot ring fitted to the discs then it just a case of rotating the disc till the holes line up. Joys of a re-drilled 4-stud 308 conversion and one of the reasons I created the 280mm 4-stud conversion.

I imaging there is an easier way that someone can help you with.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here