Thread: Flat Battery

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Flat Battery

Hi, I have a 99 V Reg 2.0 SRi astra which developed this problem a year ago, i got the AA out, they said the battery was charging ok, then within 2 weeks the battery was flat again. So i spent £80 or so on a new battery from Halfords but within 2 weeks the battery is flat again. I have taken it to a garage where everything checked out, no interior light on alternator charging no drain problems etc i think they said a drain of 0.012amps which was well within limits. In warm weather the battery lasts 2 weeks in colder weather only about 1 week. I think i will have to take it to another local garage and see if they cant fix the problem, i did speak to a techician at a garage and he told me i might try taking out the relay for the alarm if it does not interfere with other items on the car and see if the battery holds it charge. Any ideas? Is this an astra problem that others have resolved? I would be interested in your views and hopefully a solution. Cheers Mel
    PS ive had the car from new and its all original. no after bits fitted.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome Mel

When you do use your car what sort of usage does it get? Short 10 minute drives or longer 10 mile drives?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to the site...

(moved to the mk4 electrical section)

Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks for writing back, i must admit i only use it 2 maybe 3 times a week for short drives to the shops but one of those trips is about 10 miles each way. What are you thinking? Also as a last resort I have heard but not come across a solar triclke charger that you can mount on the dash board have you heard of these by the way?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had the same problem with short journeys and i got solar trickle charger and it worked well

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Short journeys are never going to be good for the battery as you will never put everything back into the battery that was taken out from starting

Solar chargers are a good idea on cars that aren't used often. Usually they plug into the ciggy lighters but on the MK4 Astra they would have to be wired in as the ciggy lighter is on the ignition
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like there might not be particuarly a problem with my car other than i dont drive enough longer journeys. Where is a good place to purchase a trickle charger and what sort of price will i be looking at? Thanks again for people comments

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I still have my flat battery problem, I purchased a tricle charger but that doesnt seem to have rectifed it as after 3 days its flat again. Got a jump start using leads today from a neighbour and it has been fine all day, went on two 10 mile journeys it restarted no problem, when i got home i started the car on the drive about 6 times over a short peroid and it started fine too, about 5 hours later went for a drive it started once again. As it was misty this morning once i got a jump start i put my side lights on and noticed the front drivers side side light was not working then after a few minutes it did work, so i cleaned the connectors and it came back on, i dont see how this would be the mystery drain on the battery as there is the control switch for the lights inside the car which has to be turned on for it to become a drain and then i would notice that the light were on when i left my vehicle. Any ideas guys and girls, could it still be my 1 year old battery is still the fault????

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I know this may sound silly, but your glove box, is the right hand slider arm still intact and not snapped? as the glove box light ( If you've got one ) relies on this arm to switch it off and if its not there, the light stays permanently on
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Suprise Suprise the battery was flat this morning, putting it back on charge today again. I will check the arm of the glove box, cheers.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast