Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all MK4 GSi!!! Oil problem help wanted please!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Calling all MK4 GSi!!! Oil problem help wanted please!

Hey folks me again!!!
    I have a prob and the story goes like this.
    I got a little oil leak a few weeks back when I was onshore so I changed my oil, filter etc and done a full service while I was there including boost controllers. Anyway...
    I went into one car store, read up the books etc and the only oil listed was 0W-10 fully synthetic(Mobil eco or something like that so bought that) Stuck it in and noticed smoke starting to come out the exhaust on idle and knew something wasnt right. Phoned Vauxhall and they said I should be using 10W-40 half synthetic. So whipped out that oil and stuck in the castrol magnex or whatever you call it, changed my filters again and noticed the same smoke when idling.
    I thought to myself it was maybe just the other stuff burning off and it would sort itself out until today (300 miles later) when I noticed the check oil bit on the display coming on. Stopped to check my oil and nadda/zilch/nothing in there. Totally bricked myself!!!
    I have heard that they are really picky cars when it comes to types of oil but in no way did I think they were that bad.
    Am I using the wrong kind of oil or do I have a REAL BIG problem here!

Your advice and stuff would be greatly appreciated right now!!!

One worried astra owner!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use GM 10-40 and no probs at all. Vauxhall do recommended 0-30 but alot of people on here disagree and say 10-40.

Blue smoke on idle could be valve stem seals or outboard turbo oil seals mate, especially for it to loose that much id say a seal has gone somewhere.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just what I was fearing.
    Hmm. TBH I cant remember the smoke being blue. Looked white to me when it happens.
    May buy the oil from Vauxhall and if it happens again then I will know something definately is wrong I guess. (I take it the GM oil is VX)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    youve clearly got a problem and the grade of oil used isnt going to cause the problems youve got so therefore changing to 10w40 aint gonna cause an ounce of difference im afraid

ok it may not burn as much oil as the thinner 5w30 stuff but maybe its time to look for the cause of the problems and not just try to mask it with other oil

good luck though..... ive personally had by engine rebuilt with new turbo etc etc - used 5w30 for about 3k then changed to 10w40 as it was starting to smoke ever so slightly.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know there has to be a big problem somewhere. I have a feeling this is gonna be an expensive repair!!!

It just started since putting in that oil I mentioned first. Its a bit of a bummer. I did read in a thread somewhere that some guy used all his oil in 400 miles or something and a simple brand change sorted it which I thought was an odd thing.

Hmmm a repair and a sell sounds like it may be coming up then.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it was a seal that has gone then how much you reckon its gonna cost for a strip down and reapir? I know it aint gonna be cheap!!!

Also, If it was that should I not see smoke all the time? I can only notice it now and again.

Very puzzling. May go and see if I can book it into the local VX garage tomorrow.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Turbo seals + bearings = £175+VAT @ MidlandTurbo.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That aint so bad. Peanuts.
    I was expecting 1k or something

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why not pay double it and get a VXR Turbo though is what my thinking is, or refurb it yourself. Balancing shouldnt be a issue from what I read as long as you re-install everything in the same orientation it should be fine.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nyzrox View Post
    Why not pay double it and get a VXR Turbo though is what my thinking is, or refurb it yourself. Balancing shouldnt be a issue from what I read as long as you re-install everything in the same orientation it should be fine.
    Dont they re build it to a stronger spec?

Than the vxr one.
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast