Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Third party insurance claims

Hey there,

First post on this forum cause I don't know where else to look for an answer to my questions.

I was recently ran in to by another driver which ended up with my car being written off. We went through the other persons insurance as I didn't want to make a claim. So I am the third party in the incident.

However, the offer made to me by the insurance company (Endsleigh) isn't enough to cover what I paid for the car, which was only about 3 months ago. They are trying to say that the market value of the car is less than what I paid and therefore I should be liable for that loss, which is quite substantial. They have also taken into consideration a value of scrap for the car, which again is grossly overstated.

I'm guessing that I can argue with the value of the scrap. But is there anything I have on the value of the car? I have had a look around the local garages and they are charging more than what Endsleigh quoted for around about the same car.

Also, I have bought a new car in the mean time but it is better spec than my last car. Went from a 1.6 club to a 1.6 SXI. Should I be able to change over the insurance easily and only pay the difference of the two cars? Or am I likely to be ripped off on this one to?

I'm assuming it will be quite a lengthy and annoying proccess to get back my money. So any tips on negotiating would be great. Thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    turn down the offer
    how much did they offer you for the car ??
    do you have any pics of the car pre Crash ??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    me I would do around on the net an auto trader an get printouts
    of cars like your for sale an point
    the price they are for sale at near you in a traders garage or website like auto trader

the first offer is always very low

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As above deny the offer and send them pictures + prices of similar cars for sale

Status
    Supporting Trader
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Planet_Boom View Post
    Hey there,

First post on this forum cause I don't know where else to look for an answer to my questions.

I was recently ran in to by another driver which ended up with my car being written off. We went through the other persons insurance as I didn't want to make a claim. So I am the third party in the incident.

However, the offer made to me by the insurance company (Endsleigh) isn't enough to cover what I paid for the car, which was only about 3 months ago. They are trying to say that the market value of the car is less than what I paid and therefore I should be liable for that loss, which is quite substantial. They have also taken into consideration a value of scrap for the car, which again is grossly overstated.

I'm guessing that I can argue with the value of the scrap. But is there anything I have on the value of the car? I have had a look around the local garages and they are charging more than what Endsleigh quoted for around about the same car.

Also, I have bought a new car in the mean time but it is better spec than my last car. Went from a 1.6 club to a 1.6 SXI. Should I be able to change over the insurance easily and only pay the difference of the two cars? Or am I likely to be ripped off on this one to?

I'm assuming it will be quite a lengthy and annoying proccess to get back my money. So any tips on negotiating would be great. Thanks!

As has been said refuse their offer and go through Auto trader and local papers etc to prove how much your car was worth also any receipts you had for when you purchased the car should be photocopied and sent to them. Explain to them how long you have had the car ,The price you paid for it and ask them how they work out their figures to being so low compared to what you paid.

As for the insurance on your new car if you call your insurance up and explain they should be able to just change cars on your policy. There may be some fee's to pay it all depends on which insurer you're with.
    Dan.