Thread: Whats so bad about T-Cut?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Whats so bad about T-Cut?

i have been using T-cut for years and although i think its abit of a pain to get off its not a bad cleaner it does cover the scratches although only cover i might add.

But after joining here and listening to some people say how aggresive it is and how it ruins the paint work over time i'm scared to go near it now..

What do you guys think of it and what would you recommend for getting rid of swirl marks and light scratches by hand?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no. the abrasives in it dont break down and become finer. you could easily remove many layers of paint
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patton77 View Post

What do you guys think of it and what would you recommend for getting rid of swirl marks and light scratches by hand?
    I would use this stuff:

Collectors and enthusiasts regard Meguiars Scratch X as a must have!

Tough enough to get rid of fine scratches but gentle enough not to leave you with more. Unlike the more aggressive cutting compounds, Meguiars Scratch X has an advanced formulation that will both remove fine scratches and swirls and enhance the paint colour.

The formula is relatively gentle compared to some scratch removers but don’t let that put you off as it’s highly effective and ideal for quick touch ups or adding a bit of life back to old and lacklustre paintwork. Scratch X will also remove light oxidation and blemishes.

There’s nothing worse than that feeling you get when you see a lovely great scratch down your otherwise perfect paintwork, well now you can get rid of it easily and quickly with Scratch X.

For use by hand and suitable for all paint finished including the softer clearcoat finishes.

* A real must have product
    * Use for light scratches, swirls, light blemishes and oxidation.
    * Suitable for all paint finishes
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post
    I would use this stuff:

That is what I use, very good.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patton77 View Post
    i have been using T-cut for years and although i think its abit of a pain to get off its not a bad cleaner it does cover the scratches although only cover i might add.

But after joining here and listening to some people say how aggresive it is and how it ruins the paint work over time i'm scared to go near it now..

I wouldnt take what people say as gospel all the time. its all difference of opinion really. I like you, have used t-cut on many occasions, and think its brilliant stuff.

I think it was probabaly my dad who introduced me to it a while back, but its got rid of scratches on many cars ive had loads of times. so long as you polish out the tcut afterwards and dont just leave it.

I think Sometimes you need something a bit more hardcore to get marks out. tcut might well be harsh, Its all very well using these light hearted substitutes but most of the time i find they dont do anywhere near as good a job. ive used scratch x before and ended up getting the tcut back out again to finish off the job.
    323 BHP / 312 lbft.......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It surely has its place. One just needs to understand what a product is for, and use it correctly.
    Astra Coupe Turbo Project Log KW var2, BK299, Apexi, HID, Angel, Leather Cobra, Phoenix Gold, GT/R2, Fluted, DV26D, Pre/Sports/Catback, CarPC, B&M, VXR Turbo, Tarox-10, Phase 3! Car is for sale!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have a read of this mate. Tests done with T-Cut by hand and machine, good test and write up

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=152548

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    T-cut is fine to use, if used correctly.

Although im sure gaz will say otherwise...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The abuse of T-Cut is 90% detailing snobbery and 10% fact, imo.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150