Thread: LEDs: headlamp switch brightness and heater dials

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

LEDs: headlamp switch brightness and heater dials

Quick one that I struggled to choose a suitable subject for!

Finally had the car out in the pitch black last night and confirmed that the headlamp switch dials are not lit at all by the LED - the actual headlamp switch is fine but the LED for the brightness dials etc just doesn't work with the prism so it is not lighting anything else.

I am debating three things to resolve this without going for silly bright (my words, if you like it sorry!) lighting with loads of LEDs:

1) Go back to the original bulb but paint the bulb with blue bulb-paint
    2) Go back to the original bulb and either paint of use some transparent blue film to tint the white filters on the dials
    3) Fit two LEDs into the original bulb holder space and angle them onto the prism properly so the light goes down the prism

Anyone got any idea if either of these would work and which would be perhaps better?

I'm wondering if the heater dials (which I'm yet to do, waiting for GB to drop off a white filter) may end up being the same? If I put LEDs in will they not light the dials much at all due to the prism or will they be OK?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did a guide on here: http://www.astraownersnetwork.com/sh...ad.php?t=32899

You need to fit loads of Led's
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not a fan of the level of brightness from that though, I'd rather try to keep the OEM levels where possible hence my thoughts above? I am thinking currently of using two LEDs in the headlamp switch (for the dash dimmer etc) pointing directly into a slightly trimmed down prism - as far as I can tell this should work pretty well.