Thread: 5-30w Oil

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

5-30w Oil

Iv just fitted a new vxr turbo to my z20let. primmed the turbo prior to start up. iv now done about 1k and it has started to puff blue smoke from the exhaust. im using 5-30w fully sinthectic oil. i heard that with this oil that it can seep thru the seals and burn to give blue smoke??? cleaned out intercooler and pipes but no different. hope my new turbo aint f***ed !! anyone had probs with this oil??? thinking of switching to 10-40w. any help/advice/opinions would be very helpful. thanks edd

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had my LET fully rebuilt 3k ago (new vxr turbo etc) and was using castrol edge 5w30 fully synth up until today but had 2 instances of blue smoke so have since changed to 10w40 semi as of today.... runs a little bit quieter too and hopefully the smoke will be a thing of the past.

most ppl tend to run 10w40 too due to this exact same scenario

I would recommend u do the same.

Price wise I was paying £22 for 6ltrs of 5w30 now paying £30 for 8 litres of 10w40 so price is pretty much the same.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I done a oil and filter change today andput 10 40 in mine and runs a lot smoother especially with the expensive petrol.
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I will be doing the same next time I change the oil, 5w30 is too thin and burns quickly on a Zlet.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol, there must be something wrong with my engine as I've used 0w 40 mobil 1 in mine for the last 23K and it doesn't use a drop of oil between changes and produces no smoke!!!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    0W40 is a thicker oil (when hot) than 5w30. TBH thats probably a better choice than 10w40 as will be better for the engine when cold.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It seems the Z20LET may run a quite large piston/bore clearance that see thinner oils get past the rings (maybe for piston expansion??)...

I used 10W30 and it was noisy, used a bit and had some very minor smoking at cold/idle etc....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    by the way, z20let should use a little bit of oil, and in manual there is also given precise numbers of oil usage. And it is not normal, if absoluty no oil is added between servicing.
    In fact, mine old calibra also stopping tu use oil..and it was caused by leakin head gasket..tb cooling fluid gettin into oil!!!
    Astra Coupe Turbo / LPG conversion

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not exactly.....

The manual just shows this to cover theirselves.

It is NOT normal for an engine to use oil....but it happens, therefore the manufacturers say its normal so they dont get hit with big warranty bills.

To sum it up 5w30 is perhaps too thin (I like others have found this out the hard way) 10w40 is whats commonly used (in UK at least) 5w40 maybe a better choice - this is something I may consider at a later date.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above it's a get out clues for the manufacture, 10w-40W is the recommended one as by Regal or CS, My Vx dealer stopped selling 5w-40w a long time ago i think it was due to this has anyone else noticed the same thing a their Vx?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast