Thread: Urgent Help Needed

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Urgent Help Needed

ok last night on the way home from work i noticed the oil pressure light flicked on for a split second when cornering so checked the oil level today and although the engine was cold the level was full. drove to work this afternoon and there was no warning light. i had my stereo on loud so didnt notice any unusual noise untill i got to work (12 miles) when i turned the stereo off and heard the engine was rattely. checked the oil before leaving tonight and it was bone dry not a drop in it. no oil had leaked onto the floor, there is no oil splashed around the engine bay, the filter and sump washer on on tight with no trace on oild on the filter but some (looks like it been there for a while) oil on the sump. i have had to leave the car at work and plan to but some oil in it tomorrow and strike it up in daylight to see if there any any leaks. anyone had this before or have any ideas what to check. the car was running fine when i drove it to work so i dont think (and hope) its hasnt blown a con rod.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What car and engine ???

Vauxhall state that oil consumption can be as much as litre per 1000 miles or so ..

Best advice is fill it up and check it's filled correctly, run engine and look for leaks, check for excessive blue smoke from exhaust on startup....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive got the same thing in my 1.8. Checked oil sod all, stone cold on the flat etc. Serviced 4 months ago and mileage since is low. I chucked a litre in, took it for a quick spin, checked oil with engine on fine. Switched it off nothing again. Is it me or are GM engines just a bit weird?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    topped the oil up which took just under 2 litres, started it up and it was a bit rattley but settled down after a minute. everything seemed fine so took it down the road and back but then i noticed oil down the right side of the engine block which looks to be coming from where the rocker cover joins the rest of the engine so could be a possible gasket failure. anyway looks like its gonna have to go to the garage tomorrow. my wallet is getting scared already