Thread: Minimalist speaker Job

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Minimalist speaker Job

I'm used to having a sub box in my cars, but seeing as I've purchased the Zaf to aid in transporting my growing family, it doesn't seem like it's going to be an option for me this time...

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences for utilising the nooks 'n' crannies in the Zaf to house some additional speakers.

The obvious thing seems to be to fit some 6x9's in the rear bulb access/storage areas. I guess these would need to be on some sort of quick-release chassis incase I needed to change a bulb...

Also keen to replace the factory speakers in the doors, but having examined the doors topday, while big enough, they seem to have some OEM pods, not standard 4/corner fittings for replacement speakers.

Finally, I've got tweeter covers in the back, but no tweeters! Is it a case of finding some 2nd hand front ones and fitting them in, or are the rear tweeters different?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gonna need some speaker adapters which can be picked up from halfords/motorworld/ebay etc which are about £12 for 2 and allow for the fitment of 16.5 or 13 cm speakers depending wats in the zaf!

or maybe get a stealth box for the back, so the sub fits the contours of the zafs boot taking up minimum space.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

yopu can still have a sub and 7 seats.....

the 4way amp that was on the boot floor now lives under the driverseat. if you are going to do something similar, i recomend using a 10" sub as the space available for a 12" causes complications with sound quality.

i have uprated the 4X doors and fitted 5 1/4" speakers in the tailgate as well.

(the front doors run 2ohm a side, the rears are run in 4ohm, the sub has 2x channels one for each coil running 860wrms)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's fantastic!

Never considered the tailgate.

Did you do all the work yourself? It' looks very professional.

Thanks Jake, I found the adaptors, but AutoLeads only seem to do front adaptors...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GavZaf View Post
    That's fantastic!

Never considered the tailgate.

Did you do all the work yourself? It' looks very professional.

Thanks Jake, I found the adaptors, but AutoLeads only seem to do front adaptors...
    i did the tailgate set up. the sub and amp mounting i had done by a local firm (cost of £300 which i think was well spent) the door speaker upgrades i also did myself as with all the wiring to boot. i ran out of time to sort the sub out as i have just had twins and needed to focus on finishising the bathroom, house electrics and nursery.

i used corsa b mounting plates for my 6.5" component speakers both front and rear, the rears will need work if u want them to fit or u'll need to run
    5 1/4"'s for a standard fit.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Got any pics of your fronts before/after fitting MM?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    sorry no, wished i had though as the door cards are a nightmare to get off. its one of those "you are gona get modified" moments and just got on with it

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive been looking at sumfin for the bee. Not sure what to myself. Thought of just getting a sub box or tube with built in amp so it can easy be lefted out when need be.

Ive got a mate who works for a big car audio place called K&M Accoutics in wigan. They have won loads of awards for installs in the uk and the USA. He said if you dont want a sub or canty fit one in for what ever reason you can go for more mid bass but as with anything the more ££ you throw at it the more you get.