Thread: Great Britain Football Team - 2012 Olympics

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Great Britain Football Team - 2012 Olympics

What is everyones opinion on this matter?

We all know the 4 nations (England, Scotland, Wales & N-Ireland) are rivals at most competitions such as the World Cup & European Cup, but what do you think to having a "Team Great Britain" for the 2012 Olympics?

I have taken the following information from Wikipedia regarding the current state of preceedings:

Since 1972, Olympic rules have been relaxed to allow professionals to take part, but there has been no return of a UK team. However, due to London's successful bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics it has been confirmed that a UK team, controlled by the British Olympic Association, will compete at the 2012 Olympics. A women's team was thought to possibly compete as soon as the 2008 Summer Olympics[1], but FIFA disallowed it (see 2007 FIFA Women's World Cup).
    The proposal for a UK team was initially supported by the FA in England and the Northern Irish FA, but the Scottish Football Association refused even to attend meetings at which the Home Nations were to discuss the possibility.[2] At those meetings, the Football Association of Wales stressed it was strongly against the proposal. The FAW Council then voted to withdraw from the negotiations.[8] FIFA president Sepp Blatter has said that the independent status of the four British associations could be harmed if a unified GB team competes in the 2012 Olympics.[9] Scottish manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been offered the job of coaching the team, but it is unknown if he will accept.[10]
    In October 2007 the Northern Irish FA also announced that they would not take part in a unified team either, leaving England as the only Association willing to take part. Despite the opposition of three of the Home Nations, opinion polls have shown majority support for of the creation of a team for the 2012 Olympics.[11] A joint statement issued by the official fan clubs of all four Home Nations voiced their opposition to the plan, however.[12]

Position of FIFA

The position of FIFA, football's international governing body, in the debate is seen as critical. The Scottish Football Association's opposition to the plans are rooted primarily in the fear that the Home Nations would lose their special status,[2] which is established under FIFA's constitution.[13] FIFA President Sepp Blatter had given assurances to the Home Nations' FAs that their status would not be affected by the FAs fielding a combined team in 2012, stating:
    “We have confirmed in writing that they have to provide a Great Britain team for the 2012 Olympics, but the four British associations will not lose the rights and privileges acquired back in 1947.[14]
    Nonetheless, the SFA has made clear that its position has not changed, arguing that Blatter's personal opinion and permission may not matter once Blatter has left office, and that they do not wish to jeopardise Scotland's future position[2]. The case for the UK team may be strengthened by the decision of the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball to permit a single UK volleyball team to participate at the 2012 Games. [15] Blatter seemed to change his view in March 2008 by stating:[9]
    “They should enter only a team composed of players from England.”
    He also suggested that the independent status of the four British associations could in fact be harmed by a unified GB team, contradicting his previous statement.

Do you think we should have a 2012 Great Britain football team? if Scotland backs out, will Sir Alex Ferguson still coach the team? (if he accepts in the first place), will the players work together?

Also, who do you think the coach/manager should be and who do you think should be in the team if it was created today for training & practice sessions?

I think it should be:

Coach: Sir Alex Ferguson

GK: Craig Gordon (Sco)
    DF: Micah Richards (Eng)
    DF: Rio Ferdinand (Eng)
    DF: John Terry (Eng)
    DF: Ashley Cole (Eng)
    MF: David Bentley (Eng)
    MF: Steven Gerrard (Eng)
    MF: Owen Hargreaves (Eng)
    MF: Joe Cole (Eng)
    FW: Wayne Rooney (Eng)
    FW: Jermaine Defoe (Eng)

Subs:

GK: Paul Robinson (Eng)
    DF: Stephen McManus (Sco)
    DF: Johnathan Woodgate (Eng)
    MF: Barry Ferguson (Sco)
    MF: Aaron Ramsey (Wal)
    MF: Frank Lampard (Eng)
    FW: Michael Owen (Eng)
    FW: James McFadden (Sco)
    FW: David Healy (N-IRE)
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hate football but wasn't the whole point of the Olympics was to be for non pros? That's why you can't enter if you have gone pro in boxing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They got rid of that in the 60's or 70's. Same as with Tennis and a few others sports.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought it was only under-21's with 2 or 3 over 21's to play football in the olympics? I could be wrong though...

No stewart downing in your squad? You listen to the tabloids too much

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudd View Post
    I thought it was only under-21's with 2 or 3 over 21's to play football in the olympics? I could be wrong though...

No stewart downing in your squad? You listen to the tabloids too much
    Possibly ... That would mean Carson in nets for Gordon, and the introduction of youngsters into the starting 11 like Ramsey, Walcott & Morrison with Richards, Bentley & Rooney holding there places. Gerrard, Cole & Ferdinand would prob be the older players I'd use in the starting 11... something like that anyways, I'm not sure how good the younger players are, especially from Scotland, Wales & N-Ireland.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I guess it would solve our goalkeeping problem...