Thread: engine number and cylinder head advice

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

engine number and cylinder head advice

Hi people im new on here and im in need of help, the problem is my head gasket has failed. I know its common for the mayo under the oil filler cap but im also loosing alot of water. My car is a P reg atsra estate with the 1.6 8v spi engine but i cant find the engine code, I've looked where it should be and even cleaned the area but still nothing. This is my engine so hopefully some one can tell me the engine code or if the cylinder head from a 1.6 8v mpi engine is suitable I think the code on that engine was 16se from what I could make out, I have also found a few recon heads on ebay but they are from 1.8 8v engines (would they fit my car?) Also could some one please tell if this is the right head gasket set? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4777%26fvi%3D1

many thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It will say on your logbook what the engine code is

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the advice, iv looked on the v5 but it only lists the engine number not the engine code

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Post up the first the first 6 letters/numbers of the engine number please...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1st 6 letters are 02EL30

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the exact same problem (head gaskets away) and i was out looking for the engine code earlier, the plate at the front of the engine bay has billions, take your pic lol! I actually wouldnt know the engine code if it was written on my forehead!
    For to play football the Glasgow Celtic way...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ur p plate spi one will be x16szr . . . . Earlier spi ones were c16nz. The mpi will be either c16se or z16se depending on age of original vehicle.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    How do you know it's the head gasket causing you to lose water? My radiator developed a pin-head leak which was losing noticeable water but only when driving as this gave enough pressure to force water out. Never had any water drip noticeably on the drive etc.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Ur p plate spi one will be x16szr . . . . Earlier spi ones were c16nz. The mpi will be either c16se or z16se depending on age of original vehicle.
    thanks for the info on the engine on engine number, do you kow if if the mpi head is siutable for my car? iirc the mpi head was off was L reg.

Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    How do you know it's the head gasket causing you to lose water? My radiator developed a pin-head leak which was losing noticeable water but only when driving as this gave enough pressure to force water out. Never had any water drip noticeably on the drive etc.
    im putting it down the head gasket because of the amount of mayo on the cap, the car has used no water at all since i replaced the timing belt thermostat and water pump on 6/9/07 i usualy check it most weeks when refilling the washer bottle. I have had a good look around the engine bay while the car is running and the temp guage is sitting at the 95 mark but cant see any evidence of leaking steam or water. i understand the 8v engine can be known for the mayo prob if used mainly for short trips but its used for 2 fourty mile trips so u wouldn't thought that could cuase it.

Thanks for the help so, all help and suggestion greatly recieved

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    been keeping an eye on this thread and as a result i found my engine number - top info geordiebandit !!
    For to play football the Glasgow Celtic way...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast