Thread: Engine Temperature (is this the right place?)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine Temperature (is this the right place?)

Hi everyone,

My engine temperature always gets to the red lines and I am obviously a bit worried about this. It's fine if I am driving on a motorway or bypass obviously as there is loads of air going in but when i am in the city centre it just shoots up!

so what I wanted to know is do I need to add some anti freeze/water mixture and which cap does the mixture go in?

(its a 99 V Reg Astra G 5 Door 1.4 Eco-tec engine)

Thanks!!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds more like your thermostat is stuck/broken and/or your radiator fan is broken. If you have anti-freeze/coolant or not the radiator fan should still come on if the temp gets too high.

I'd be getting it looked at quickly, if it gets too hot or is hot for too long you may cause damage to your engine.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fan does come on and cools it down to 100 degrees then stops again and comes on again as soon as it gets back up. the fan also stays on even after I have turned the engine off. is this normal?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mine never gets that hot even in traffic...but the fan may stay on after you turn the ignition off depending how hot the engine was before you stopped. Do wonder if your thermostat is broken/stuck if it is heating up that much, as if it isn't opening fully to let the coolant circulate fully...be worth getting it checked over.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could be thermostat but i would try coolant, drain the system and put new coolant in, Coolant will reduce the temperature dramatically from your 200 degree range that your hitting at the mo As the halfway gauge is actually 100 degrees unlike what it says on the gauge the scangauge never lies

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took it to my cousin who is a manager at kwik fit last night and he saw what it was straight away, it looked like there was enough coolant in there but it hadnt got into the hose so he unblocked it, drained the coolant and put some more in and told me that I may need to top up with water as the level will go down as the pumps and hoses fill up.

I took her out for a drive this morning and am already noticing the difference and it may sound strange but the car's driving better!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, like others i have a problem with the temp gauge in my car, it constantly reads at zero until i stop in traffic or just have the engine running then it raises to about the middle. I have waited to see if the fan cuts in when getting hot and it does, needle only goes up to 70ish, does not appear to overheat at all. All the blowers work fine and it gives off heat great. I have read all the issues and i understand that itdoes need changing when i do the cam belt next, i have read tht some people put cardboard in front of the rad to help out????? Can i ask what would happen if i just left it as it is, i have no issues with heat and the fan cuts in as it should and does not overheat at all, i just had all the coolant changed today with fresh anti freeze. i have noticed that the gauge moves up a little when the heater is not on but only a little. Sorry to waffle on but first question i have written

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi mark, mines the same. I was told its cos my coolant/antifreeze level at the lowest it can read on the gauge (-25 degrees), dunno if that is the real reason. be nice to know what could be though
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If the engine temp on the dash reads very low unless you're in standing traffic, then my guess is your thermostat is stuck open. You'll get heat from the heaters even if the thermostat is stuck open, but your engine is running too cold, your MPG will be worse, and you may be damaging your engine long term due to the misfuelling...