Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hi
    Just thought I'd say hi,
    my name is Stu and I'm from Nuneaton and I pick up my MK3 1.4 on Tuesday. First Vauxhall I have owned as I used to drive French cars.

Is there anything worth looking out for regarding common faults on the MK3?

Looking forward to becoming a part of the AOC,

Stu

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hi mate, welcome to the site. There has been a MK3 in my family for the past 5 years and it has never given us any trouble, gone through every mot first time, regular services by my dad (ex machanic).

There are a few MK3 owners on here, im sure they could give you more infomation.

hth

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    Club Team
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome to the house of fun
    Arden Blue Zafira Gsi

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Welcome to the club
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    The Modfather
    Mentioned in
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Add James on Facebook
    Welcome to the madhouse
    "Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel, is only the train coming to finish you off"

The skunk is not dead, it just has a new smell!

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Welcome to AOC

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the club.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome to AOC. I'm another mk3 owner (had 4 so far, two 1.4's, a 1.6 and a 2.0). They are smashing little cars and I love them

Hmm bad points:

1 - rust : on the wheel arches, particularly the rears, nip it in the bud as soon as you spot it or the whole arch will rot out, replacement rear quarter panels are available on the autojumble stands at shows like Billing but tbh it's rarely cost effective to weld one in once it's got so bad on the value of the majority of mk3's. The top rot spot is at the petrol filler cap, keep an eagle eye on this area and be careful when filling up the tank so you don't knock the rim of the filler recess with the nozzle as I think this is where the problem stems from - the nozzle chips the paint at the bottom of the recess, which is a natural spot for water to gather, which gets through to the metal and rots it out, it will spread downwards and join up with the wheelarch rot and then you've lost your panel.

2 - heater blower likes to die after a while - it'll start doing nothing on setting 1 and 2 but blow your eyeballs out on setting 3/4, a new rheostat sorts this out easily.

3 - heater control backlights - these are notoriously tempermental on the mk3 and are easily upset lol, usually when you fit an aftermarket head unit, they will get all sensitive and stop working on you lol, tbh not a problem unless you like them illuminated all the time, you can always set the blowers by feel!

4 - rear light cluster random electrical faults are quite common, but they are easy enough to get to in order to check wiring.

5 - reverse light switch mechanism in the gearbox likes to fail - check your reverse light is operational on a regular basis.

Those are the ones that spring instantly to mind, nothing major tbh, but a cam belt change is best to get done once you get it to be on the safe side if it hasn't already been carried out, purely because of the age of the vehicles. Diesel ones will go on forever and the body will rot out long before the engine gives up, they came in both vauxhall and isuzu diesel lumps and are pretty solid.

Simple mods include de rub-stripping to give it a cleaner look, it is a relatively simple and expense free mod you can do yourself in about half an hour with satisfying results - they are only held on with glue, no clips leaving holes to fill in. A set of lowering springs and a strut brace will tighten up the handling (look on ebay for kits, or the classifieds section on AOC), and a set of aftermarket alloys set it off nicely.

There are various body styling modifications on the market but IMO the leary jap style kits don't look too good on mk3's, but at the end of the day it's your car, so do what feels good to you, don't go on other people's opinions. The Irsmcher and reiger kits are readily available and give a very good look.

Clear indicators and side repeaters clean up the look a lot, especially when fitted with silvatec bulbs to eradicate the fried egg look, and darker GSi rear lights tidy up the rear end, but lexus ones are getting very dated now, please don't do it! LOL.

If you want to start getting into the bigger modifications then the most common engine swap is the GSi redtop conversion, although I have a C20NE SRi 2 litre 8 valve in mine and it's also a very tuneable and reliable little lump with plenty of torque and fun under the pedal. Other people have dropped in V6's to fantastic effect (eg from an omega)

Check out your regional group forum for detailed information on local meets and events, reccomended retailers and garages in your area etc. We attend shows big and small throughout the year as well as rolling road days, track events, factory visits etc so there is always something on.

Make yourself known in your regional forum and I'm sure the friendly locals will arrange a mini meet to say hi. (we try to have meets on a regular basis of at least once a month in our region, sometimes combining neighbouring regions on bigger events)

Larger shows are usually advertised on their own section, such as Trax, PV and Billing where we have a large AOC show stand prescense.

By joining up as a paid member you also get access to "locked" forums for members only, as well as getting useful discounts and perks such as Adrian Flux insurance discount and LMF vauxhall parts.

If you have any specific questions you can use the "search" facility (see the buttons at the top) type in a keyword and have a look at posts relating to your query, or if you can't find it just pop a new thread up in the forum most suited to your query, (eg "car care and detailing" if you have a question about polishes/waxes etc) AOC is all about sharing information and skills and having fun with our astras, and there is usualy someone who is willing to come round and lend a hand if you are unsure about something in return for tea & biscuits or beer tokens

Hope you enjoy the club!

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello and welcome to AOC mate.
    ^Click above if yae are^
    >< Proud To Be Scottish ><