Thread: Locking Wheel Bolt Problem

rob sri turbo

Locking Wheel Bolt Problem

Hi

I'm trying to remove my front wheel off my car to clean it and copper grease the bolts. I've got the 3 bolts off with no problems but i cannot remove the locking bolt. Basically whenever i put the locking key onto the bolt, it doesnt grip it properly and falls off when i try to undo it.

I then tired it on the other wheels, 1 of which came off no problems but I had the same problem on the other 2 wheels. Am I doing something wrong here? I think the key is ok as it undos 1 of the bolts.

Thanks

PS

The car is a 06 plate astra club with the standard 15" VX alloys and locking bolts

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    maybe one of the bolts was not so tight like the rest of them , if the locking key is damaged further atempts will damage the locking nuts as well , take it to a competent garage will take minutes to undo them and buy a new set just in case you have a puncture in the middle of nowhere
    x18xe1 152bhp-136lbft

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Either a garage or get some impact sockets a size or 2 smaller than your wheel nuts hit the impacts on to the nuts with a hammer power bar and a wrench job done takes minutes.
    THE DEVIL IS MY CO-PILOT.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Iv managed to free off locking bolts which wouldnt grip properly with the aid of a friend, one of you using a breaker bar to apply force/pressure to the nut, the other hits the breaker bar at its bend/flexable joint, the shock from this should hopefuly loosen the bolt off, this has worked for me plenty of times in th past!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    always undo the locking bolt first.
    and keep the socket it in square.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

rob sri turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by NEVE'O View Post
    Iv managed to free off locking bolts which wouldnt grip properly with the aid of a friend, one of you using a breaker bar to apply force/pressure to the nut, the other hits the breaker bar at its bend/flexable joint, the shock from this should hopefuly loosen the bolt off, this has worked for me plenty of times in th past!
    That idea worked! thank you!

Just got them off. Me and my work mate both did it. He held the socket and key onto the locking bold while i applyed the pressure on the breaker bar. Was so much easier with someone being able to hold the socket on the locking bolt. I've replaced the locking bolts with some standard wheel bolts for the time being. Cheers for all your help everyone

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Glad you got them off mate. My previous experience with locking wheel nuts involved welding and a lot of time and swearing so I'm glad your experience was a little more pleasant! When you put them back on remember not to overtighten them - they need to be secure but not as tight as the other bolts.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

rob sri turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftydave View Post
    Glad you got them off mate. My previous experience with locking wheel nuts involved welding and a lot of time and swearing so I'm glad your experience was a little more pleasant! When you put them back on remember not to overtighten them - they need to be secure but not as tight as the other bolts.
    They arent going back on mate. Im just going to use standard wheel bolts from now on. They are only crappy standard 15" astra club alloys so nothing special. If i had better alloys like i did on my old sri turbo then maybe I'd use the locking bolts. After reading up on the subject for the past few days i've realised how many problems they can cause so i'm going to give them a miss.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Probably a wise move mate! If the wheels aren't that valuable then the locking wheel bolts may cause more problems than they're worth.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses