Thread: New to this

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

New to this

Hey, My names luke, im 19 and im thinking of purchasing an astra...

Ok heres a few pictures of the car.

It's a 2001 on a Y reg, and has done 47k miles.

It's an Astra 1.6 16v SXI
    with 1 owner, (50odd years old)

Looking to pay around £2700(good price?)

I was just posting to see what you guys think of the car..?

It's not really been modded or exterier changed.

I like the shape, but would like to do more to the car.

What simple mods should i do to improve the car...?

Thanks for your advice

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    welcome mate easy mods i suppose are de badging i think colour coding wud look smart on that car, nice looking car that mate
    astra sri turbo
    bits an bobs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as for price im not sure,

for a car its good, not to ott so cheap enough to run/look after, for simple mods, derestrict the airbox (do a search to find what that is) lower it and debadge it etc would all cost pennys but would make it look better
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    looks like a nice car to start with. lot sof diffeent mods can be done on a budget with the astra.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good price. i paid 3700 for the exact same car pretty much in december.

same spec,year,mileage,doors,colour.

and its even got an irmscher spoiler,good stuff.

to give you some ideas,heres how mines looking at the moment.

as far as mods,i'd say do the airbox,and when you can afford it an exhaust system frees up a few bhp too,mine definately punches above its weight on motorways now.

visual stuff its down to what appeals to you and how much you can budget.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have checked the price on Parkers.co.uk, and it's around the advised price, it is getting a full service, mot and tax.

I was thinking of getting the skirts and the black side thingy majigs and the handles sprayed the same colour, how much would this cost me ish..?

I don't think il be lowering it yet, as i want to keep it as simple as possible, but to look sporty-ish..

I was thinking of getting the gril changed to a blank black one, that looks quite nice, but i'm unsure if thats the way to go.

I reckon that i will keep the badges on, but as the car is a SXI, can i get badges to add on..?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ovyuk View Post
    I was thinking of getting the skirts and the black side thingy majigs and the handles sprayed the same colour, how much would this cost me ish..?

You can either take the skirts to a garage and get them to do it, or buy some aftermarket ones. The black side thingy majigs can be taken off by yourself, sanded down and painted, it's an easy, fairly cheap yet good mod to do.

I don't think il be lowering it yet, as i want to keep it as simple as possible, but to look sporty-ish..

Once you get to grips with it and see others on this forum you will want to lower it. I never wanted mine lowered yet now i'm planning on dropping it 40 all round, for a mere £60!

I was thinking of getting the gril changed to a blank black one, that looks quite nice, but i'm unsure if thats the way to go.

You've got several options, a slated grill, a crosshatch grill, a honeycomb grill or the ever so popular irmscher grill. Mine cost me £50 second hand, and was genuine. Again, a cheap mod that makes your front end look a lot better.

I reckon that i will keep the badges on, but as the car is a SXI, can i get badges to add on..?

Debadging is really easy, most people do it because it is free and looks so much better. You can get badges to stick on from eBay and the likes, but usually aftermarket decals don't look too good on bodywork. However the AOC stickers in the window would look perfect

How much are you looking to spend? There are endless free mods you can (and probably will) do, and i'm sure in time, as long as you stay on this forum, you won't go wrong!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well said that
    astra sri turbo
    bits an bobs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @ Gazmondo

When you say about taking these of and spraying them, would this just be a basic colour from say, halfords? if its that easy, and will look good then il do that, along with the door handles.

Yeah, i have seen a few cars been lowerd, but the thing is, i have so many speed bumps around me, i just dont want to crack or scrape the bumpers along the ground!, but £60ish seems cheap really!

The car has some SXI stickers on the side, the red blob you can see.. I have seen on other cars an SXI in silver like the name of the car on the back. i would like to switch these around.

With the grill, i think i will save abit of money up before blowing it on springs and grills, but lucky for me, Birthday is coming up, and i could just ask for a few things.

@ sktr4lf

Yeah thats basicly the same car, It's looking nice though!
    i like your grill and also your exhaust, i would also like to do that too!

I am happy this car has speakers in the back, i have allways had to buy speakers and put them in, in my last two cars.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the info guys, i'm in the same position as Ovy (had the car about 6 months now, 1.6 16v SXi) and am looking at doing some similar mods. Any more input would be great!

Already got the grill just need to fit. Bonnet is stuck (cable has come loose somewhere) so once that's sorted i can go ahead and fit it.

Gonna be grabbing the Vectra C air intake pipe too as well as derestricting the airbox.

Currently got an after market backbox on it, not sure the manufacturer though as this was fitted before i got the car and have never checked.

Got some new NGK plugs to pop in (again once the bonnet has been fixed!) and will get some decent HT leads at some point.

Not really wanting to go over the top on the exterior cosmetics, going for that just-more-than-standard look but with a little tinkering to the engine where possible.

Where do you guys stand on engine chipping? I've heard about 10-15 BHP can be added on this model?

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast