Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

First Detail Attempt......went wrong

hi, tried my first attempt yesterday. i have 2 queries:

wen i applied the polish it didnt really make the car shine anymore than what it was already....may have been a bit of difference but not a lot.....is this normal....

also when i came to applying the wax i also had a problem here....i was applying the wax panel by panel and leaving it till it went hazy(just a few minutes) then when it came to buffing it off it was leaving little white specs of wax on the car that were arkward to get off.

also i noticed after i had finished the clean is that i had sort of swirl marks or marks where i had been going in a circular motion....sorta seemed like i pushed to hard in certain places.....not bad but the roof and bonnet stood out a bit too much.....

Any tips??

Thanks James

BTW i was using foam applicator pads with Autogym Super resin polish with collingnite 465s or something like that(well recommended on here)

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm, SRP shouldn't cause swirling, only way it would is if the car was not 100% dust/grit free - even the dried watermarks can cause swirling if you polish over them.

SRP is usually easy to buff off unless you put too much on, it's best left until completely dry and you don't need much of it. I tend to polish in a random pattern so not all in the same circular motion.

Did you polish off with the applicator pad or use something like a microfibre cloth? Not sure if polishing with the applicator pad is a good idea?

Collinite 476s should do a good job of giving a nice shine, but not used it myself - how did you prepare the car for polishing and waxing?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_R View Post
    hi, tried my first attempt yesterday. i have 2 queries:

wen i applied the polish it didnt really make the car shine anymore than what it was already....may have been a bit of difference but not a lot.....is this normal....
    depends on what colour it is.

also when i came to applying the wax i also had a problem here....i was applying the wax panel by panel and leaving it till it went hazy(just a few minutes) then when it came to buffing it off it was leaving little white specs of wax on the car that were arkward to get off.
    You could have a) over applied the product or b) had dust from the srp on the car that you waxed over.

also i noticed after i had finished the clean is that i had sort of swirl marks or marks where i had been going in a circular motion....sorta seemed like i pushed to hard in certain places.....not bad but the roof and bonnet stood out a bit too much.....
    Neither SRP or Collinite would have inflicted swirls. Sponges inflict swirls. Because the car is now clean and shiny, it will bring the swirls to your attention.
    Try washing in future with a lambswool washmitt, using the 2 bucket method and drying with a waffleweave drying towel, not a chomois. To have the swirls removed, you'll need to have your car professionally detailed.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nry.....yeah i buffed the polish off witrh the foam pad....infact i dun it all with foam pads(Different ones of course)

all i done for prep was a wash......2 washes(with a lambswool wash mitt) then dried....left it for half hour then attacked it with the polish....left that about half hour then waxed it...

gazTD......its a dark metallic blue is the colour.....i think i may go and get it done properly...how much would i be looking at??? i live near VXRMarc(SP?)...iv heard good things about him??

also how long do i leave it now before i repeat the process??? or say if i wanted to wash off the wax and polish and start again???

Thanks ofor your help

James

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Foam pads would (I think!) be a right bugger to use for buffing off wax, they'd fill up with the dry wax/polish really quickly and just make life generally difficult! I use a microfibre cloth and this tends to make buffing off polish/wax really easy.

Not sure on removing wax, there are products out there but someone else can probably advise on that better than me!

You're probably looking at £250 (guess based on local costs I've seen) upwards for a professional rotary polish to be done, quite a lengthy and time consuming job.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep for a full detail woth paint work correction anywhere from 230 upwards im affraid.

I would guess that your car was full of swirls before but as mentioned cleaning has the habbitof making you notice whats usually hidden under dirt, lol.

What did you dry the car with?

Collinite wont ive your car eny extra shine as its strengths are its durability really it lasts long and beads well. Might be worh trying a glaze and sealant before the wax

The srp should hide the swirls for a awhile but its not a permanent fix im affraid

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VXRMarc is one of the best, but does it as a hobby in his spare time, he has a different job. The good thing about Marc is he takes each car's case individually and uses what he thinks will be best for the paint type and colour. He was taught everything he know by Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail, the best in the business.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A foam pad will take absolutely aaaaaages to take the Colly off...

And remember, less is more when it comes to polish/wax!

Polish needs to be broken down to work properly, and where there is too much, it will take a lot of elbow grease to break down, and even then you are not achieving anything extra.

As for waxes, only the bits that are touching the paintwork is effective, all other is "excess" and to be removed. If you put on too much "excess", it will again take forever and not achieving anything more.
    Astra Coupe Turbo Project Log KW var2, BK299, Apexi, HID, Angel, Leather Cobra, Phoenix Gold, GT/R2, Fluted, DV26D, Pre/Sports/Catback, CarPC, B&M, VXR Turbo, Tarox-10, Phase 3! Car is for sale!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks for the info peoples......

only thing i cant get my head round now is what gave me the swirles as they wernt there before....it looks as though it is marks from where i had been applying either the polish or the was....i only noticed them after i applied the wax....the marks are definatly me as they wernt there before.....they myt not evan be pernimant, they may come off in the next wash ect but they just wernt buffing out ???

any ideas??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you at any point drop the sponge? Or could there be a bit that you polished over that could have picked up a tiny amount of dirt?

It is REALLY easy to pick up the tiniest amount of grit, and from there on in, its swirl central - a speck of sand can be so destrictive on an applicator pad; I've been there.

Even using the same sponge on the wheels then washing the car can transfer brake dust to the paintwork, and et voila, same thing again Its a shame, but it happens.

As has been said before, get yourself to someone that does paint correction. I do know someone near Biggin Hill, who has had some astounding results, but he doesn't detail to the same level as VXRMarc, if you wanted me to get some contact details for you?