Thread: advice needed on second car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

advice needed on second car

Just thought i'd pick ur brains before i make my final decision... My gf has a ford puma 1.4 sitting on her drive which she bought last year.to cut a long story short she still hasn't got a license and won't do in near future and car is doing nothing basically (working fine jus needs service). My coupe is costing me both arms and legs at the mo and i'm considering taking it off the road for a few months. I still need a car tho so i've ok'd it with the mrs that we can sell her car and buy something cheap to run for a few months. I have around 2500 to spend and am looking for something under two litre n/a, under group 8 insurance, niceish interior, ok for motorways and not too slow! I'm thinking 1.8 focus zetec or mp3 model. Any other ideas? Also do ya reckon pumas too girly...?!
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not run the puma ?

if its a 1.4 they aint that slow and will be good on fuel
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I used to use the 1.7 one when i worked at fords a nippy wee car good fun on the back roads
    the 1.4 was also not that bad

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Run the puma. seems far to obvious an answer so I'm guessing there is some reason you don't want to.

Don't buy another car for £2k. It doesn't make sense as you won't save £2k from not running the coupe.

When I had my astra coupe turbo, I bought a proton persona for £300 as a run around, meaning I could take that to work and when the weather was crap and in turn meant I could tune the coupe up and it didn't matter if it was pish in the wet lol. For £300 I easily saved that on wear and tear and the fuel costs of running a modded coupe turbo every day. But if I spent £2k on the car I'd never have saved enough to make it worthwhile.

Moral of the story = 2nd car to save cash on an astra should be cheap = you can buy loads of cheap to run cars for sub £1k. But honestly use the puma! Atleast for a few months and see how it feels / how much you use it over the coupe etc.

On another note, I've owned a 1.8 focus zetec. I hated it (had a 1.8 astra MK4 sport right before it and the astra was far better, do a search for my full comparison on it about 5 years back) - don't get one. I got rid of it after less than 5 months.
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like pumas. If I were you I'd just use it. Then your mrs would still have it for when she gets her licence too.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaanK View Post
    Run the puma. seems far to obvious an answer so I'm guessing there is some reason you don't want to.

Don't buy another car for £2k. It doesn't make sense as you won't save £2k from not running the coupe.

When I had my astra coupe turbo, I bought a proton persona for £300 as a run around, meaning I could take that to work and when the weather was crap and in turn meant I could tune the coupe up and it didn't matter if it was pish in the wet lol. For £300 I easily saved that on wear and tear and the fuel costs of running a modded coupe turbo every day. But if I spent £2k on the car I'd never have saved enough to make it worthwhile.

Moral of the story = 2nd car to save cash on an astra should be cheap = you can buy loads of cheap to run cars for sub £1k. But honestly use the puma! Atleast for a few months and see how it feels / how much you use it over the coupe etc.

On another note, I've owned a 1.8 focus zetec. I hated it (had a 1.8 astra MK4 sport right before it and the astra was far better, do a search for my full comparison on it about 5 years back) - don't get one. I got rid of it after less than 5 months.

Agreed that is the obvious answer and there is a reason i dont want to run it...

ITS A GIRLS CAR AND I'D FEEL LIKE A HAIRDRESSER!!

I've driven it before and is quite a nice drive apart from it being a bit cramped inside especially with a couple of mates in as well!!

The 2500 would be from selling her car which is sitting doing nothing so no money lost there. But maybe hassle selling hers an finding another car.

Honestly tho would you not agree it is a chicks car!!

What was wrong with the focus? Reviews are all v.good?!
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim1547 View Post
    Agreed that is the obvious answer and there is a reason i dont want to run it...

ITS A GIRLS CAR AND I'D FEEL LIKE A HAIRDRESSER!!

I've driven it before and is quite a nice drive apart from it being a bit cramped inside especially with a couple of mates in as well!!

The 2500 would be from selling her car which is sitting doing nothing so no money lost there. But maybe hassle selling hers an finding another car.

Honestly tho would you not agree it is a chicks car!!

My Mum's got a Puma mate, and yes it is a girly car, but I honestly wouldn't mind driving it. It's a 1.4 but still good fun, i'd deffo keep the Puma, makes sense from an economical point of view.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No i wouldnt

i would drive a puma anyday

dont think its got the same stigma as the tigra tbh

and besides its only short term
    Ibiza FR CR TDI with 203 BHP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim1547 View Post

ok, my opinion, my experiences, and I'm not just saying this because it's an astra site lol

I owned an astra mk4 1.8_16v sport for nearly 3 years. 115bhp, 3 doors, good overall speed and economy balance. Then I had the focus equivalent... near on exact same spec in focus guise and the same age. Focus 1.8_16v zetec (their 'sport' model) 115bhp, 3 doors etc etc. you'd think it'd be similar to drive.

It felt sluggish by comparison - no grunt basically though it revved well. It didn't handle that well. The brakes were rubbish compared to the astra's. An accomplished car for a family or such, but it lacked any feel. I hated it compared to the astra. Also the seats were unsupportive.

Basically going from an astra coupe turbo to jumping in a focus, if your anything like me you'd hate the focus even more than I did back then (I hadn't owned a coupe turbo yet) - so IMO avoid.

On a side note I've driven a puma a couple of times and they are better than a focus by a fair margin as far as driver involvement goes.
    ShaanK. BMW E92 335i Msport and BMW E83 2.5i X3