Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Recurring error code p0130

Dear all,

To cut a long story short(er), I own a Zafira 1.8 Elegance from 2001. The last year and a half I've had some problems with the check engine lamp which keeps switching on and off (although its mostly on) seemingly at random.

I finally took it to an Opel service center. At the first check they told me it was an exhaust leak, they changed some parts and all was well for a week. Then the lamp came back on. So, back to the service center and this time they changed the front O2 sensor. Lamp switched off for a couple of days and then back on. Now they tell me that they have to replace the ECU.

So I took the car to a friend who has a code reader and it showed the code p0130. After resetting the error code, it immediately popped up again, and again... I told the service center this and they just said that the O2 sensor works and that the ECU needs to be replaced.

The thing is, I don't know if they are doing their job properly. Prior to the first check, when there was supposed to be an exhaust leak, the car was tested by the (freely translated) motor veichle testing authority and they found nothing wrong with the emissions. So how could there be an exhaust leak if nothing strange was found with the emissions?

Anyway, I don't know much about cars but I think there might be a faulty wire of some kind. Is there a simple way to check this?

The car is running smoothly and the mpg seems ok so maybe there's nothing to worry about, but the lamp is really frustrating. Has anyone else had experiences like this? Does anyone have any ideas how to proceed with this?

Thanks!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recommended lampchen to put his question with his problem here with you guys.I told him that you know everything about the Zaffis ,so please ,if anyone has a solution please shoot! ..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    To clear the light, you could try disconnecting the battery for 1/2 an hour or so.
    Just disconnecting the battery will cause the alarm to go off so slacken off the nuts on the negative terminal in readiness,put the key in the ignition and turn the ingnition to position 2 then go take the negative terminal off the battery within 15 seconds and your alarm wont go off.
    Could be worth a shot. how many O2 sensors soes the 1.8 have?
    Also make sure the dealer fitted a genuine sensor and not one of the cheaper
    universal sensors that can cause problems.

welcome to the site lampchen by the way!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    According to my autodata P0130 is the following.

Fault Location is - Heated oxygen sensor(HO2S)1, bank 1 - circuit malfunction

Probable cause - Heating inoperative, poor connection, wiring, HO2S

I dont know if you already knew this but what the hell lol.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    @montyfox: Thanks. Just to see if I got it right: I loose the nut on the negative pole of the battery, turn the ignition to position 2, hurry to disconnect the negative pole, leave it for a while? Is there a risk that other electrical devices might be damaged by doing this?

I've read some stories on the internet about faulty universal sensors. Is there an easy way to check if it is a genuine sensor (i.e. company logo etc.)?

@damosmokie: I knew that code pointed to an error of some kind with the O2 sensor but not that it was the heating. Thanks. Is the heating an integrated part of the sensor or can it be replaced without replacing the sensor itself?

Thanks for the replies guys. I sure have some reading to do on how things work in a car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes lampchen, pretty much as I said and no, it won't break anything.
    Just make sure you have the code for your stereo and you may have to 'reprogramme' your electric windows by pressing and holding the buttons.