Thread: Few things to ask....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Few things to ask....

Hello i am new here just bought my black mk 4 astra sxi 1.8 all kitted with irmscher products i will post some pics soon i'm loving the drive and power it has but a few things are bugging me

The engine management light keeps coming on, the light with the car and spanner in the middle, it sometimes comes on and stays on and sometimes doesnt come on at all has anyone got any ideas the power does not go down in get home mode like i have read here?

Has my model got the trip computer?

does your guys astra seem to be abit thirsty mine seems to be really bad on petrol consumption? if i put £25 in i get around £120 miles out of it is this right? sorry to stupid to work out mpg

Appart from all this i love my car honestly its a very nice drive...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site mate

What age is your car? there's 2 possible ways to read fault codes yourself depending on year

If your car has a trip computer you will have buttons on the end of the wiper stalk, I doubt the sxi has it as standard though

120 miles will work out to the mid 20's mpg, depending on the sort of driving you were doing will depend on how good (or bad) it is
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my year is september 2002 mid 20's sounds really bad how can it be so bad? nope no trip computer for me then..

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Without knowing what the engine management light is on for (a sensor fault somewhere in the engine) then there's no way for us to know if 20mpg is right or not. Some sensor faults (e.g. coolant temperature sensor for one) would cause the car to use more petrol than normal because the sensor readings are not telling the ECU correct information.

Have a search on here on how to read the error codes yourself, not sure myself off-hand, but if you can read the code then let us know what it is and we'll start suggesting how to fix it

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If your just doing short journeys in your car and still engoying the engine then the mid 20's could be about right, wouldn't say it's stupidly low

I believe you can check the fault codes on your car with the throttle pedal, just got to search on here to find how or PM Geordiebandit as he knows all about this stuff
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I believe this is the way

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    sounds like its in limp mode - is there any fault lights?

do the self test to see if theres a code stored in the ECU

as its a 53 model youll need to follow this procedure....

With keys out of ignition - press both brake & accelerator pedal at same time and keep them pressed to the floor....

insert key and turn to 2nd click - ignition on but DONT START THE ENGINE

Keep both pedals pressed throughout the procedure....

the EML will flash just like previous models using the paperclip

You will probably find the light flashes 10 times first then a pause then another number, a pause, another number, a pause then another number of flashes.

I say 10 times for the first one as 10 flashes = a ZERO on the fault code and most engine related faults range from P0001 to P0999

If for instance u have the following sequence

10 flashes
    pause
    3 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes

this equals 10,3,10,10 which in turn equates to 0,3,0,0 or P0300 which in turn is "Multiple cylinder misfire"

10 is the only number that becomes another number
    1-9 flashes remain a 1-9 code if that makes any sense

Have a go and let me know how u get on.... if u cant find the cause of the code - do a google with the words "Vauxhall and Pxxxx" (whatever the code is) and see what it comes up with.

If it just flashes continuously then theres no fault codes stored - i would then personally disconnect the battery for half hour see if that helps matters

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it's coming up i'd say with at least 3 sets of fault codes im finding it hard to read them im going to give it another try the car drives fantastic appart from to me eating abit of fuel. I do about 4 miles to work and 4 miles back and about 1/4 mile to the shops and back when im home i'll try and post the error codes hope someone can help i love the car.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok fault codes are as follows i have 4

Can anyone help? this car has just been bought and have 2 months guarantee left should i take it back for a refund they said they would fix problems as i told them about the engine light coming on but i have read stories on here where they say they have fixed it and a week later its back to normal...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Googling 2 of those codes suggests crank sensor problem and immobilier key problem? P1555 brings up a problem with throttle body maybe?

In all honesty if you have these problems i'd take the car back and get them to fix it rather than get your hands dirty

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just got a fault listing maybe the car isnt using as much petrol as i thought 0460 is fuel level sensor circuit malfunction so could i be getting wrong readings on my fuel?

also 0335 crankshaft position sensor a circuit malfunction i have no idea what this means how would this affect the car?

thanks for your help guys keep it coming its really helping me out here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast