Thread: Need urgent help with wheel / brakes

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need urgent help with wheel / brakes

Need some help figuring out what's causing this.

Basically the front right wheel has been squeeking for a while, but I never thought anything of it as it only really happens when I go fast, apart from today, it was squeeking at all speeds, and it was alarmingly loud, enough to make pedestrians turn and stare!

Wondered what the hell it was so I got home, got out the car and I thought the weather had got quite warm! It was actually heat coming from the wheel! I could get close to it but I couldn't even touch my alloy it was that hot, so I daren't touch the disc or the pads! I've been out for no more than an hour.

Not sure on what to do, I just got the hose pipe and sprayed it down with cold water, only to be met by a hell of a lot of steam, which indiciates something was extraordinarily hot in there, and it's hard to describe, so I took a video.

Also, I've been experienced the car veer to the right ever so slightly, as if it's either not aligned properly or the brakes are ever so slightly applied to the right wheel.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nURkC0FvuBw

EDIT: If youtube doesn't work, direct link is here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    when did you last replace the pads, could be the indicator tab touching of the pads touching the discs or maybe the pads are worn down to metal?

DAve
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't, only had the car a few months, my grandad noticed the pads and discs could do with replacing completely when we first went to see the car.

If I could get away with just replacing the pads that would be great, as I'm hoping to convert from 4 to 5 stud and grab the 308mm turbo setup aswell.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    best bet would be change discs with pads but if only money you have is for pads then go with new pads asap!!!!!
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be a seized caliper so the caliper is not releasing properly hence gettin hot you could try jacking the car up and turning the wheels by hand see if there is any difference in the 2 front wheels

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took it to my grandads and we soon found out the problem!

The right pads were worn down to the metal, way past the recommended "changing point" if you see what I mean. Thing is though the left hand pads were pretty much brand new, it's as if he only changed the left side, which makes me wonder why he didn't change the right - as pads are only sold as a set of pairs, for both sides...Baffles me... Changed both sides anyway so they both have some new pads on, only cheap stuff - £16, to get me through until I get money for the 4>5 stud conversion and 308mm brake setup.

Anyhow, the list of things is getting very long of things that need to be fixed / rectified thanks to the complete disrespect the previous owner had towards the car. Have taken pictures of comparison:

These are the two against each other, and I must emphasise they are NOT the old against the new pads, they are the left hand side pads against the ride hand side! (With the worn down ones being the ones on the right).

Knackered right pads:

Fairly new (yet still replaced) left pads: