Thread: My engine revs when I'm at a stand still

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My engine revs when I'm at a stand still

hi Guys, I have a mark 4 Bertone Convertible (1.8 ) and for some reason it revs itself when it is at a stand still. It doesn't do it all the time and cannot find a particular pattern as to when it does it?! Bizaar.

What I have noticed tho is the dashboard lights (including milage etc) dims and then brightens slightly as its reving? Any ideas? EReally is annoying more than anything.

Oh and just for your information it revs to about 2.5 x 1000 revs.

Cheers peeps.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i cant really help except suggest cleaning the intake pipes and throttle body?

ill move this to the NA engines forum intead of the turbo so it gets the best views,
    Drives - 08 Astra SRi XP 1.9CDTi 150

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers mate, your a star. Oh and it only revs to 1.5 x 1000 revs not 2.5 as stated.

Is there a how to how I would do this? Is it easy? What do I use etc?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ICV ? worth a clean
    DaveMark

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Again, I will try this but how is it done?

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does it do this randomly through a journey or just within the first 10 minutes or so?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Randomly mate - it's really bizaar. I have been trying to find a patern (ie when it gets hot) but there just isnt one. If anything - it does it through the latter parts of the journy, but, again, this is not always the case. Many ppl have said clean the EGR but just dont know how to do it and what i will need.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sadly the 1.8 model doesnt have an ICV - its the ugly duckling in the range

Most fuel injected engines upto 2000 typically have an Idle Control Valve whereas models from 2000 onwards the idle speed was governed by the ECU due to it having an electronic (fly by wire) throttle.
    The 1.8 used in the Astra from 98-00 used the X18XE1 engine and the ICV was built into the TB (Throttle Body) itself therefore the only way to clean it is to remove the TB itself and give it a damn good going over with carb cleaner and a clean cloth

If its a 2000 on model (easy to find out - best way is opening the bonnet and looking at the exhaust manifold - - - if the manifold has a big cylinder after the header pipes its the cat and therefore a later Z18XE model - if its a standard 4-1 cast manifold with a flange then a downpipe - look underneath the car and youll see the cat resides on the front pipe directly under the engine after the flexi and just before the join for the centre pipe)

I know im waffling a bit here but it will help any other 1.8 owners who are having the same type of problem.

Some 1.8 models with ths same problem have needed a replacement ECU but all u can do now is clean the TB and also the EGR (check the how-to section) give it a good service if u can and take it from there.

To clean the TB & EGR all u need is a can of carb cleaner - available from a local motor factors for about £3 of if ur feelin particularly flush then about £6 from high street cowboys Halfords

The fact ur lights dim usually suggests a charging issue such as battery and/or alternator - it may be advisable to have both these checked out at a local garage with testing facilities before randomly replacing either/or.

If u have access to a battery charger then use it - or a spare (already charge) battery u can swap over to help determine the cause.

Does the engine still race with ur lights and other electrical accessories off?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep still races when lights are off. Some days it may do it and some days it may not? Some days it will do it a bit and some days may not.

I hope its just a clean that needs doing. My model is a 2001.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, I will look at cleaning the TB and EGR first and go from there - I'm hoping this will make the difference!