Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with sound system - I know nothing!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help with sound system - I know nothing!

Just got a 2.2 berton coupe. It comes with standard cassette player and 4 disc changer, and standard speakers.

My budget isnt huge at all, so I was wondering how cheap I could put a half decent sound system in -Front/Rear speakers, and possibly a sub, amp etc

I have an OK head unit I could put in to replace the tape player which looks crap and is useless as I havent owned a cassette since about 1995, but if there are any pro's to getting a better head unit I may get one, but as already said Im doing this on a budget

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If you can be bothered with eBay, I sourced a 4-channel amp (FL800S £50), 10" sub (Fli £25), wiring kit (AutoLeads 4AWG kit £22) and components (Fli 6.5" £44) to go alongside my existing £100 Kenwood head unit. Built my own custom fit sub box for maybe £20 of MDF, glue, screws and carpet, a few sundries ~£10 and it's darn impressive for the money if you ask me!

Lots of amps will take speaker level input (no need for RCA output on the head unit) so you could even keep the existing head unit if you wanted and use the CD-changer you already have!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    If you can be bothered with eBay, I sourced a 4-channel amp (FL800S £50), 10" sub (Fli £25), wiring kit (AutoLeads 4AWG kit £22) and components (Fli 6.5" £44) to go alongside my existing £100 Kenwood head unit. Built my own custom fit sub box for maybe £20 of MDF, glue, screws and carpet, a few sundries ~£10 and it's darn impressive for the money if you ask me!

Lots of amps will take speaker level input (no need for RCA output on the head unit) so you could even keep the existing head unit if you wanted and use the CD-changer you already have!
    Cheers for replying mate, but some of that has gone over my head (when I say I know nowt I really mean it!)

I know ebay is a pain in the arse mostly, but I dont mind using at as there are some decent sellers, so I'll source some things off there

What exactly am I going to need then? Front & rear speakers - sizes etc? I really need the whole thing explained in laymans terms, as I have never done anything like this, and don't understand anything about amps/wiring kits/Anything at all really lol

Cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fronts and rears are 17cm with 2.5cm tweeter.

Whats do you want out of the system? sound quality or volume.

I wanted sound quality at a decent price and volume. hence my type R system. cost me £450 for a 4-channel amp, 2 subs, front components, rear 5x7 components, wiring kit and my headunit:

180 : h/u (new from usa ebay)
    80 : subs (2nd hand from ebay)
    40 : amp (2nd hand from ebay)
    70 : Fronts (new from ebay)
    50 : Rears (new from ebay)
    30 : wiring kit (various, custom)

I plan on upgrading my amp and h/u soon, and because of ebau can save about £300 using the ebay shops.
    The Man with a new Plan

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Decent sound quality really m8..what u think I should be looking to get?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What's your budget in total for the whole project?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just want a better/louder system than standard, nothing too fancy. Dont think I am even going to get a sub TBH

It has the basic cassette head unit with 4 disc changer in the glove box, really just want decent front & rear speakers I suppose. I just dont know what I need to get and how to go about sorting it out lol, Im a bit crap at anything like this, so the easier to do the better lol

Also if I changed the standard head unit, would the disc changer still work?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Changer will likely only work with the OEM head unit.

You can replace the OEM speakers with different ones, you'd get a noticeable improvement just by doing that, same goes for the head unit aswell - if you have access to music on your PC then many new head units can accept a USB Pen - mine has a 2GB one (£10 or less for the pen) which holds ~15-20 albums.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right, well to start with I will just replace the original speakers. What size speakers should I buy?

I'm sure in a couple of months I will do more, but new speakers will probs do for now (got rims to buy as well lol)

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Front speakers are components, 17cm/6.5" for the large ones which is what you need to worry about. Will also need some new speaker mounts, AutoLeads do these for ~£15.

Not sure on the rears?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast