Thread: Phototographers - help and advice

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Phototographers - help and advice

Well at christmas I went and got myself a Fuji Finepix S9600. Wanted something better than a point n shoot, but didnt want a proper SLR incase i couldnt get my head round using it.

Ive been messing about taking different shots of things, scenery motor sports etc.

Problem is (in my eyes) 90% the photos i take are pants lol.

Heres 2 photos i took this morning at 6.30. Looked really good in real life but the photos dont seem to replicate it. No zoom and setting was on Auto.

Any tips, guides, help etc (preferably idiots guide) would be great. Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Damn fine camera there.

Just takes practice and patiance and knowledge of the setting.
    Tip1 - Uses 55mm screw lenes and filters.
    Tip2 - Can use external flash gun
    Tip3 - Can use eather a cable remote or electronic to operate the camera from a distance.
    Tip4 - DON'T GIVE UP, all it takes is practice.

Both taken on the older S5000 on raw format.
    BTW come hither and enjoy. http://photography4allforum.co.uk/phpbb/index.php
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Funny enough, postie has just delivered my s9600 this very morning!

I'm hoping to start learning all the manual settings and techniques again (I did a photography course when I was a kid).

ajb - the link you provided goes to a site offering to sell the domain ......

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Simple, stop using auto or else you'd may aswell have got a £80 compact from tesco.

My tip would be learn about lighting and how the camera uses it. Shutter speed, apperture and focusing.(and get your horizons horizontal!)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant View Post
    ajb - the link you provided goes to a site offering to sell the domain ......
    Opps try again.
    I like the fuji range very well.
    My dad got the S9600 and gave me his s5000, although I would like some of the more upmarket function the S5000 still works so I'm happy with it.

As said learn all the function and try them all out, I'm only 30% way through the functions and learn something new every time I try.
    BTW recommended purchase - Circular polarisation filter, 4gig CF, teleconverter lens (even the 96xx has it focal limits)
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ever heard of White balance on your camera? Well this is what it does.
    It determines what colour the camera is capturing, heres an example of a bad white balanced picture

Its all blue, and thats not what it realy looks like, and majority of the time when white balance is on automatic it'll take the picture like that.
    If you can have a manual white balance then you can easily sort it out to make it more true to the colour you see it like this picture (same one just with corrected white balance

As for focusing, i'm not quite sure, but heres an example of how to use macros (i think thats what its called lol)
    Heres a pic with no macros, (it can take normal distance picture)

And heres the same pic with "S macros" which focus on with exteme close up

and normal macros is just normal close up.

Hope it helps and that i've not made an arse of myself getting things wrong lol

Both photos were taken by a 5 mega pixel Canon powershot S21S (nowhere near professional camera!)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My daughter has just picked up the camera, switched it on and then asked where the flash is.

I said "you won't need one"

She said "it's all black".

I said "try it without the lens cap on!"

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoojellybaby View Post
    Well at christmas I went and got myself a Fuji Finepix S9600. Wanted something better than a point n shoot, but didnt want a proper SLR incase i couldnt get my head round using it.

Ive been messing about taking different shots of things, scenery motor sports etc.

Problem is (in my eyes) 90% the photos i take are pants lol.

Heres 2 photos i took this morning at 6.30. Looked really good in real life but the photos dont seem to replicate it. No zoom and setting was on Auto.

Any tips, guides, help etc (preferably idiots guide) would be great. Thanks
    Hiya

The cam has taken a light readin from the sky. you need to take a light reading from the ground. If you half press the button it will take a reading and focus. So angle the cam down and half press. Then with it still half pressed level the cam up and depress fully. this will help as it will be able to calculate the exposure corrrectly for the light available

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above, that is the problem with the 2 images posted. Auto is OK, but as already said, you may as well just have bought a standard P&S is you are going to be having it on that setting.

When I had the Fuji S5700, I had it set to A mode (apature), as that gave the best results for the type of pictures I wanted to take.

A step up from the Auto is the P setting on the fuji cameras, which is basically the same as Auto, but you can adjust a few things in there manually if you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoojellybaby
    Scenery - I'd use Apature, with a high F stop, such as F16, as that will bring more of the subject into focus.

Motor Sport - You want to use Shutter priority. Set the shutter speed quite fast to freeze motion, or have it a bit slower if are capable of panning on the subject. Shutter priority will automatically take care of the apature setting.

Also, by coming out of Auto, you can control the ISO settings. This will have an affect on how noisy the image is. ISO100 will need a longer exposure, and more light to expose the image, but will result is a sharper image. ISO400+ on a Fuji bridge camera will be quite noisy, and give quite a poor image, but will need less light to expose it.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Our eyes are very good at adjusting the available light to see what we find the most pleasing - a camera can't think for itself is the same way and takes what it sees.

Early morning light is generally a cold, blue light which our eyes compensate for - whereas evening light is generally a warmer, orange light.

I've yet to play with it but you could have bracketed a few shots, to see if the under or over exposure works best for you - it would depend on what you found to be the best part of the shot - sky or ground.

Another idea worth playing with is filters. You could have used a filter to warm the picture up. Others will say you can use photoshop to do this post pic but, if you are like me, I prefer to get the pic how I want it when I take it and can't be arsed with post production (I spend too much on these boards to find the time to be creative!!!).

Anyway, just some further thoughts to add to the above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast