Thread: Aquaplaning

Status
    Scottish RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Aquaplaning

on my way to falkirk the day in the rain lol i hit quite a lot of water on the side of the road at about 50 mph slide along the surface of the water about 100 yards before i had to tap on the brakes and try to steer away slighty from the field and lucky for me got some grip about 2 secs later.

just wondering what you are suposed to do in this situation?

wat do u do it this instance?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Normally I would let off the accelerator completely and don't touch the brakes or clutch, if you steer or brake it won't do anything until your tyres hit the tarmac again at which point if you've braked or steered the car may not do what you were hoping. May not be the 'right thing' to do though so open to suggestions from others!

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not an awful lot you can do. I'll be the first to say adjust driving style/speed to the conditions. After that, you can only treat it like driving on ice - no grip, severe lack of control. Just turn into it, slow down as best you can and hold on tight - enjoy the ride!

i understand that sometime you can suddenly happen upon water so the comment above may not be justified in all cases, but it has to be said.

well done for coming out the otherside intact tho

Status
    Scottish RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i was always told not to brake or steer but going through a fence and ito a field didnt really apeal to me lol

Status
    Scottish RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    not an awful lot you can do. I'll be the first to say adjust driving style/speed to the conditions. After that, you can only treat it like driving on ice - no grip, severe lack of control. Just turn into it, slow down as best you can and hold on tight - enjoy the ride!

i understand that sometime you can suddenly happen upon water so the comment above may not be justified in all cases, but it has to be said.

well done for coming out the otherside intact tho

i was atually keeping a safe distance from the van in front and as it moved all the water off the road i thougt it wud be ok but it just started to run back onto the road like a river

and cheers