Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Astra engine

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    bumping's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry Astra engine

    Can anyone tell me the difference between the z18xe and the z18xer engine
    as i have a astra 1.8 sri mk5 56plate 3dr hatchback and my mate has a mk5 astra 1.8 mk5 5dr 08plate and the engines look totally differnet and the horns are different.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    Gazmondo's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure about the engine matey but the horn's are unique on the SRi's in comparison with the VXRs SXIx etc, as VX have fitted a dual horn in those, whereas in your SRi it may sound abit "girly" to say the least.

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    MarkyG's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,442
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    xer has twin continuously variable cam phasing and 145hp.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    bumping's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkyG View Post
    xer has twin continuously variable cam phasing and 145hp.
    so why does my 56plate not have that engine in it! and my mates shitty 5dr has it!

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    GB's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    21,918
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bumping View Post
    so why does my 56plate not have that engine in it! and my mates shitty 5dr has it!
    "shitty" 5dr 08 plate compared to your oh so wonderful 56 plate

    just cos it has 2 extra doors & is newer (and thus benefits from modern technological advances etc) does that mean it cant have a better engine......

    u wont like my car then!! haha

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    bumping's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    "shitty" 5dr 08 plate compared to your oh so wonderful 56 plate

    just cos it has 2 extra doors & is newer (and thus benefits from modern technological advances etc) does that mean it cant have a better engine......
    lol noo but i bought the hatchback with the expack on it which is alot sporter so i would of thought it would of had a faster engine!

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    SXT's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bumping View Post
    lol noo but i bought the hatchback with the expack on it which is alot sporter so i would of thought it would of had a faster engine!
    On that basis then, why dont you buy the VXR bodykit and you could have a 240bhp (ish) 1.8

    Seriously though, it depends on what spec engine is bought with the vehicle... VVT has better fuel economy on th ecombined cycle, so it is natural that newer cars will make use of this technology!

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    sktr4lf's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,349
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    unfortunately a bodykit doesnt add bhp.

    chances are your mate just has a newer slightly pokier engine,vaux do update model engines mid range quite often,if better tech comes along. its an incentive for people to buy into the brand.

    look on the brightside,at least yours looks better eh. and in real world terms theres prob not much of a dif in performance.


  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    bumping's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SXT View Post
    On that basis then, why dont you buy the VXR bodykit and you could have a 240bhp (ish) 1.8

    Seriously though, it depends on what spec engine is bought with the vehicle... VVT has better fuel economy on th ecombined cycle, so it is natural that newer cars will make use of this technology!
    is the z18xe not very good then, and is it alot slower than the z18xer engine

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Gazmondo's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,135
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In reality, not much difference. BHP, 20-25?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. vauxhall astra sxi 1.7 cdti 54 reg engine swap with vxr engine?
    By mike cole in forum Turbo Petrol Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-07-2015, 10:49
  2. Mk4 astra 1.7cdti engine intermittent engine management light
    By Michael Gillham in forum Diesel Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-05-2015, 19:27
  3. astra coupe 1.8 engine -advice please on ITB's and engine swap
    By st200_john in forum NA Engines (Non-turbo petrol) inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 20:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •