Well finally we had some progress today, as today was the day that scrapheapchallenge2: GLSRi got put on the jig to pull her straight. Took about 0.5 seconds to cause the damage, and about 3 hours to pull straight (mainly setting up time and a slight setback with the boot, but will come to that in a little bit)
Piccies from today:
1: she's been sat at my mate's garage since the accident, and for the past few weeks rather than sit IN the garage, due to space issues she had to be demoted to outdoor living, next to the industrial extractor vent for the neighbouring cardboard box factory, so she's covered in dust and shredded cardboard fibres. Luckily she was given a thorough wash/polish/wax shortly before the accident so should be pretty well protected under the dirt. First problem was getting her out again as she was very well blocked in. It did mean I got to drive a mk3 GSi with a V6 under the bonnet, only got to drive it about 30 metres or so though, so it was out of the way Scrappy is hiding in there somewhere...
Setting up the jig etc, first jacking her up to get the frame underneath:
frame going under:
how the boot was bent in, from the inside:
and from the outside:
clamped to the frame, still setting up to pull.
passenger side rear door gap before starting:
driver's side rear door gap before starting:
still setting up:
fine adjustment prior to pull:
under tension: it looked alarming at first as they over pull it and then let it "relax" back.
it then gets more fine tuning with a hammer mostly lol
Now, as the boot was also bent, it presented a slight setback as rather than try to unbend it, I had got a replacement one (a GSi one at that ) for £20 off ebay from literally 5 minutes drive down the road from me. At this point they needed to check that the boot would of course shut properly and all gaps were correct, but as the boot on the vehicle is not staying on it, we had to remove it and put on the (still being worked on) GSi boot to check fit/line up of lock etc with that. Although my GSi boot had a screen in, there was a freak accident overnight in the unit, it was being rubbed back and left on stands overnight, when they came in in the morning they found that due to the immense heat in the workshop and the pressure of the stand on the glass, the rear windscreen had exploded Lucky the glass in my old one is ok as that will have to swap over now For a while they were just swapping boots:
opportunity to show you the straightened out door gaps:
boot from the inside, still some fine tuning to happen but it is now mostly straight.
getting the frame out from underneath:
down she goes ...
and how I left her for today:
Well chuffed with the progress