Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Air intake????

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    Jay_R's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    496
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Air intake????

    hi, planning on derestricting my airbox and replacing the panel filter also planning on putting on a veccy pipe but would like a bit more info on effects ......such as MPG??? does it affect this?? also does it give the engine a deeper growl??

    any info appriciated...

    also i read a thread aobut someone doing this then there car ticked over at higher revs??? also another person mentioned that there engine management light came on...

    cheers james

  2. #2
    kr00zin_uk
    kr00zin_uk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_R View Post
    hi, planning on derestricting my airbox and replacing the panel filter also planning on putting on a veccy pipe but would like a bit more info on effects ......such as MPG??? does it affect this?? also does it give the engine a deeper growl??
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_R View Post

    any info appriciated...

    also i read a thread aobut someone doing this then there car ticked over at higher revs??? also another person mentioned that there engine management light came on...

    cheers james
    There are quite a few benefits/drawbacks, but some people will probably blindly disagree with me, stating that you must do this mod. Either way it is personal choice as to whether you like the effects.

    I have derestricted my airbox, but I didn't break the parts when removing them and I am planning to put them back on, when I get the time.

    > My MPG was unaffected (not better, not worse)
    > Noise levels definitely increased (it is a throatier, raspier and slightly deeper noise)
    > Acceleration is noticeably improved (it is much more eager to respond, particularly in the low down revs)
    > The car does tick over at at slightly higher revs (but if anything I find the tick over to be more unstable, fluctuating up and down)

    The reason the airbox has been restricted is to supply a consistent air flow to the engine and to prevent rain being sucked up into the engine from the air intake pipe in the grill.

    Overall for a smoother and more refined drive, I prefer it restricted. But if performance and noise are more important to you, then rip those bad boys out!

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Rain being sucked up?

    For me on 1.6 16v MK4 SXi I have slightly improved MPG, can't say I notice much noise change but I did put a louder exhaust system on around the same time, idle is still smooth and accelerating is much smoother too, and there's less of a noticeable 'kick' when touching the throttle or letting off the throttle too.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Paul's Avatar
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    12,861
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    The reason the airbox has been restricted is to supply a consistent air flow to the engine and to prevent rain being sucked up into the engine from the air intake pipe in the grill.
    How the hell did you figure that?

    All you are doing when de-restricting the airbox is removing two plastic pipes, and increasing the amount of airflow (coupled with the Veccy C pipe). Those pieces of plastic are not there to stop rain getting in! lol

  5. #5
    kr00zin_uk
    kr00zin_uk's Avatar
    I have the same car, but without the loud exhaust system, so I guess I notice sounds more.

    What is the point in a loud exhaust system anyway? Are they just to pish people off? Or is it to unlock a few more ponnies? If so couldn't they be unlocked more quietly?

    I'm not "having a go", just not sure what the benefit is...

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    Keefo's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    I have the same car, but without the loud exhaust system, so I guess I notice sounds more.

    What is the point in a loud exhaust system anyway? Are they just to pish people off? Or is it to unlock a few more ponnies? If so couldn't they be unlocked more quietly?

    I'm not "having a go", just not sure what the benefit is...

    there louder as the exhaust system is less restrictive whih then does not baffle the sound down as much, making it louder.


    as for the Airbox, i have derestricted mine and have notices it being abit more snapier and smoother and not noticed any differance in my MPG....

    and it is louder with more grunt :-)

  7. #7
    kr00zin_uk
    kr00zin_uk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotpanther View Post
    How the hell did you figure that?
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotpanther View Post

    All you are doing when de-restricting the airbox is removing two plastic pipes, and increasing the amount of airflow (coupled with the Veccy C pipe). Those pieces of plastic are not there to stop rain getting in! lol


    How do you know that they are not there for that purpose? Do you have proof to the contrary?

    I did a google search a while ago when I was considering deresticting the airbox and found loads of results to back this up.

    If you actually think about it, it's common sense.

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    As per Keefo on the exhaust - I have a Cybox catback system which has a smaller centre silencer and less restriction inside this (according to Ffoeg anyhow!), and the backbox is straight through (so less restrictive) and also has a smaller silencer. It's louder than OEM but not overly loud, a nice subtle burble at idle and a little noise when 'giving it some' just so you know it's there Not into this whole 'I want a loud exhaust' stuff and mine doesn't fit into that category

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    Keefo's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post

    How do you know that they are not there for that purpose? Do you have proof to the contrary?

    I did a google search a while ago when I was considering deresticting the airbox and found loads of results to back this up.

    If you actually think about it, it's common sense.

    to be honest mate, it really isnt.... the changes of rain getting throught he system is next to nil...

    All you are doing is removing 2 pipes to help the air slow easier and smoother, rain will NEVER get through there unless u drown the car in a pool... even without the derestricted box this will **** the car up...

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    nry's Avatar
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    25,986
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post

    How do you know that they are not there for that purpose? Do you have proof to the contrary?

    I did a google search a while ago when I was considering deresticting the airbox and found loads of results to back this up.

    If you actually think about it, it's common sense.
    If there was a problem with rain getting sucked in (which could be a good thing i.e. water cooling?) then the Vectra C would have big issues with it since the larger intake pipe is from a Vectra C.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Air intake on 1.8 Astra intake
    By Hayz in forum NA Engines (Non-turbo petrol) inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 19:20
  2. vectra c intake vs courtaney sport intake
    By Jay_R in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 19:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •