Thread: Zafira power steering.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zafira power steering.

Hi all apologies for this not really being a modding related topic, well other than modifying a non working zaf into a working one, but you guys seem to know your way round these engines backwards so hopefully you can help.

My 1.8 Zaf A lost power steering yesterday, assuming it was low on fluid I topped it up this morning, it worked fine for a few minutes (so not the pump) then stopped, at this point I noted my footwell was full of power steering fluid. Further investigation showed it to be entering from the rubber seal where the steering enters the bulkhead.

Anyone have this happen? Any ideas on the cause? (Please say yep the hose has fell off, a 50p jubilee clip will fix it as thats what I'm hoping the problem is.)

I'll be going under it this weekend to hopefully fix it but was hoping for some insight first.

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Hi and welcome to the club

You don't have to apologise mate, all Zafiras and their owners are welcome here - standard or modified, it don't matter! We all love our busses and that's what it's about

It does sound like one of you power steering hoses has popped it's clogs, possibly even the rack itself has sprung a leak. Without seeing it, it's hard to guess where the leak will be.

Give it till this evening, there might be someone on here who's had the same problem and may be able to guide you better than I
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Welcome to the bus lane m8.

I cannot say anymore than Tangoid has already said I am afraid as with a steering issue I am not that clued up, but it does sound like a hose is off somewhere.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the welcomes, hopefully someone with an idea will be able to help.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah ha, I've deduced I used the wrong fluid hence the major leak.

My dialema now is which fluid is right.

My local Halfords has two vauxhall standard fluids, a DIII density conforming to GM-6417 and a DII for spec GM-6137.

Anyone know (or have a haynes manual that knows) which spec the buses steering fluid has to conform to? (Older model bus)

I'm leaning towards the thicker one.