Thread: bio diesel in a cdti

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

bio diesel in a cdti

I took the risk of putting biodiesel in my 1.7 cdti.55 reg It is running o.k but now and again the engine light comes on (car with the spanner). then the engine seems to slow down. All Ive done is switched off then switched back on and everything is fine. I am debating could it be the fuel pump. I will probably go back to normal diesel as I am unsure if its the right thing to do. Plus the light above has come on a few times. ps great site

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    IIRC i read somewere that bio diesel isnt good for new cars as its not lubricating the pump enough and usualy wrecks them.

if i were u id stick to normal stuff

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what percentage of bio was it? apparently 5%-10% of bio should be ok.
    Fitted options: Folding mirrors, cruise control, dual tone horn, remap.
    Next: Bluetooth

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    common rails dont like it m8 .. the engine management is telling u to get the crap out ,

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ye dont do it they should have told u when u bought it, apparently its a big nono on modern cdti's, when the lights on and u lose power its in safe mode to prevent damage to the engine hence dont use wish i could tho

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Been running the 1.7 CDTi (54 Plate) on 5% Bio 95% regular diesel for the last 6 months or so, on the recomendation from this site that up to 5% was ok, more wasnt.

Experienced the same problem as you a few times now, took it back to the dealer and they couldnt find any fault codes raised.

It does however seem to be whilst sitting / crawling for quiete a while. I am now beginning to assume that it is weather & heat related. This is due to the problem usually being resolved by accelerating up to a moderate speed and the light turning off.

It personally would not make sense to me for it to be the biodiesel as my last 3 tanks have been regular diesel, and the problem occurred today.

I personally find it stupid that they a) have no temperature guage and b) no way of storing fault codes! It's not a hard thing to do.

Whilst Posting, just wondering if anybody else finds that the fuel guage doesnt drop on long distance journeys, but does drop noticeably when the engine has been switched off then on again.

Regards,

Sellw88
    Vauxhall Astra Hatchback 5 Dr
    54 Plate
    1.7 CDTi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    leave it alone its crap!!!!!! only good for scrap old mk3 dies. no offence to anyone there actually pretty good with the boost wound up
    project smoker is now stepping up a notch check garage for details

if its illegal to smoke until the age of 18 my astra should of been locked up ages ago!