Thread: Over Taking

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Over Taking

Why do some poeple hate being over taken and end up putting them selves and you in a potentially dangerous situation??

today i was enjoying a....shall we say sprited drive on some quite roads that i know very well

anyway after a few miles of completely deserted road i came behine a rover 25 that was stuck behind a tractor and trailler.

knowing the road as well as i do i knew that there was only two places that either of us could get passed the tractor safely within the few miles

so i sat back a bit then as we were coming up to the first over taking point the guy in the rover got into a good position to see the road ahead after the next sequence of bends and over take if it was clear

excellent someone else that knows the road as well. it was clear and the rover pulled out to overtake so i went into second and waited behind the tractor watching the road ahead.
    i waited until the car in front was pretty much passed the tractor (his bonet was ahead of the tractor bonnet)
    being a long straight and the road still being clear i pulled out and soon caught the guy up (well he only had a 1.4 bless)
    he looked as if he was going to pull in as his two left wheels crossed the white line seeing the road was still clear i was going to pass him too.

but then he moved back over and stayed on the wrong side of the road until he saw a car coming the other way.

he obviously didn't want me to get passed???

lucky for me when he moved over there was still enough space for me to get passed.
    in the end my second manouver was still executed safely i.e the car coming the other way didn't have to slow down etc but i just don't understand what the guy in front was trying to achieve?
    he stayed on the wrong side of the road for about 10seconds holding me up as i don't think his little car would go any faster.

he obviously knew the road as well as i did beacuse he prepared for the over take two or three corners back he would have also known that there was an up-hill straight thats about half a mile long just up the road where he wouldn't have been able to stop me getting passed...unless he wanted to run me off the road.

i wasn't really pissed off just couldn't quite fathom his motive.
    i've had quite a few people put their foot down as i pull out to over take but never block me by driving on the wrong side of the road.

has anyone else had someone do the same thing?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ooops didn't realise i had typed that much

wasn't really ment as a rant, more an observation of somes desire not to be over taken

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He was trying to do you a favour and stop you using up all the worlds oil reserves in one journey.

TBH, we have so many rules and laws telling us what we can and cannot do that some people believe they have a right to 'educate' others in the 'rights & wrongs' of life - people just can't let others just get on with life in their own way. What happened to live 'n' let live!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It was either one of two options:

1) It was the male ego thing about not wanting anyone to pass you. My territory, can't let someone past - they will think they are better than me.

2) Thinks he can play the civilian Police officer and try to slow you down.

Both just as sad and stupid.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plant View Post
    He was trying to do you a favour and stop you using up all the worlds oil reserves in one journey.

TBH, we have so many rules and laws telling us what we can and cannot do that some people believe they have a right to 'educate' others in the 'rights & wrongs' of life - people just can't let others just get on with life in their own way. What happened to live 'n' let live!
    would have been a slight amount of irony if that was his aim as he still had his foot planted even though he was one the wrong side of the road

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe he lost his 50 foor trailer further back on the road and hadn't realised?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    coming back from elgin today,i pulled out to overtake george + mildred in there 1.9tdi audi a4 sittin at just over 40mph on a motorway,i just got past and the **** overtook me pulled back in and slowed right down again i was like wtf i'm driving a 18t truck that can only do 56mph the traffic was murder and trying to get the speed back up to go past when yes he pulls into a layby.

maybe he didnt like getting overtook by a truck.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The world is full of people like that. Has no purpose but to wind others up unless you can let them get on with it and have a smile to yourself that, in short, they are nobs

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Everytime I see a story like this, my fathers words from when I was learning to drive keep ringing in my ears - "Assume that every other driver on the road is a complete ****hole and drive accordingly!"

I thought it was a little harsh at the time, but it's becoming evermore relevant on todays roads
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Coming up to a round about going onto a motorway today, i was in the left lane, 2 girls swaying about the road in the right quite a bit ahead of me, they obviously get onto the motorway before me and sit in the right hand lane for a good few minutes, i sat behind her (at a safe distance), she was doing about 50-60mph and swaying all over the road sometimes into the left lane, i flashed the lights a few times to get her to pull over, eventually she pulls into the left lane and speeds up to 80mph while still swaying all over the road. Some people on the road just shouldnt be there these days, she seemed quite young as well and was driving a brand new audi estate so i presume it was daddys car.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast