Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vauxhall Astra Mk 4 Automatic

Hi Guys,

First post, wondering if anybody can help me ?

I have a Vauxhall Astra Mk 4 with a Automatic gear box.

I seem to have a problem that happens now and again.

This what happens:
    I have my selector lever is in P ( PARK ).
    I turn my key and the ignition is switiched on.
    The foot brake is pressed down and the small button on the side of the lever is also pressed in.
    But the lever does not want to move into any other position...it seems to be sticking into PARK.

I can leave it for half hour and start up the car and the selector lever moves into D ( DRIVE ) first time !

Whats going on ???

Many thanks,

Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, at the base of the gear selector there is a soleniod which locks the selector in park , this is operated by a switch at the top of the brake pedal , can you hear the soleniod working when you depress the brake pedal with the ignition on and the gear selector in park ? I had this with mine about 12months ago it turned out to be the switch on the brake pedal which wasn't disenging the soleniod , this can be adjusted to make sure the plunger on the switch comes all the way out to make the needed elec contact

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When its working I can hear the soleniod working when I press the brake pedal with the ignition on and the gear selector in park.

But I hear nothing at all when its not working.

Can this plunger on this switch be adjusted by myself or is it a garage job and lots of money ?

Many thanks,

Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi yes this can be adjusted by yourself ,It just needs unscrewing I think can't remember off hand how the Vauxhall secure these switches ,Take a look at the top of the brake pedal and you will see the switch it needs unscrewing to allow the plunger to come out further for the switch to work ,or the switch may need cleaning with switch cleaner or replacing ,
    if you become stuck meanwhile you can release the soleniod by hand ,unclip the thin plastic rectangle surounding the leather gaiter and and lift the gaiter up out of the way ,and to the far top right you will see the soleniod and the plunger that locks the gearshift in place ,with the ignition on press the brake pedal and you will see how the soleniod operates ,and you just need to use a small scewdriver to relase the plunger from locking the gear shift