Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Power Headlight Bulbs

kr00zin_uk

High Power Headlight Bulbs

I am thinking of getting some high power headlight bulbs for off road use on private land but I have a few questions for people that have used them or know more about them...

Do they really give off that much extra light?

I have also heard a few horror stories, are these myth's or true:

Len's melting/burning/going off colour due to the heat and intesity

Wiring melting do to the increased wattage

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You could consider a HID upgrade? (not that I know anything about this)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For the cost of higher powered bulbs I would get HID's as they run cooler and draw less power too
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

kr00zin_uk
    No I'm not really into HID's...

I've currently got some road legal Blue Xenon's and I like the look of them. They are supposed to give off a whiter light and increase light by 80%, but to be honest, I think they give off less light compared to standard bulbs.

But I spend alot of my time on private roads/farm tracks and I was considering swapping the bulbs over for the high power rally bulbs when I need them.

But as I said, I don't know if they do give off more light and I have heard horror stories, so I would like to hear from someone with experience...

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The light cast is governed by the shape of the reflector so upgrading bulbs will only light the same area brighter, not light up more of the road

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Phillips X-treme

Home > Philips X-treme Power
    Philips X-treme Power

Auto EXPRESS' CAR ACCESSORY OF THE YEAR 2007 and Product Honours Winner 2008

The NEW Philips X-treme Power headlamps project up to 80 per cent more light on the road ahead (depending on the headlight design). The light is powerful and intense, and the extra quality and quantity of light provided by X-treme Power lamps make them ideal for drivers who demand the ultimate performance. These bulbs are fully homologated for use in all European countries without restriction and are safe to use with plastic lenses.

Here's what Auto Express had to say about Xtreme Power: "This is so new, we could not randomly select test samples, so can't include it in our assessment. Yet performance of our pre production unit was staggering. Even compared with the current benchmark Plus per cent bulbs, the difference was immediate and dramatic. Philips claim an 80 per cent improvement over standard units, but we think that this is conservative." AutoEXPRESS

"ALL the electronic safety wizardry on today’s cars will not help if you can’t see the road ahead - which is why Philips’ X-treme Power takes our top accessory prize, as it sets a new benchmark for headlamp bulbs. When we tested it alongside both standard and high- performance bulbs, it put them all, literally, in the shade, Based on the light 75 and 50 metres ahead of the driver, the best beam rating the rest could manage was 107, but the new X-treme hit 146 - a massive difference easily seen on the light-tunnel wall. As with all high-performance bulbs, Philips has taken the tolerances allowed by the regulations and pushed them to the limit, not only burning the filament harder, but also reducing the glass envelope to increase gas pressure and deliver more Light. A brilliant road safety improvement." Auto EXPRESS Product Honours - 23rd May 2007

Pair of H4 Bulbs

£24.97 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Pair of H7 Bulbs

£32.99 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Try these categories: Auto EXPRESS Winners > 2007 Product Honours
    Auto EXPRESS Winners > 2008 Product Honours
    Headlamp Bulbs
    Go Back

These seem to worth a shot

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why u so against HIDs?

standard 35w kit for £40 delivered sounds good to me

(Ive bought about 10 of these kits in past few years and rate them highly)

piece of piss to install and if u select the 4300K kit - intense white light then you'll never make the change back to halogen again.
    Best compromise for colour & performance

Each to their own though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The offroad "brighter" lights are a complete piss take, i mean yeah they're brighter bluer (or whiter) but thats only when its dry, soon as it becomes remotely damp the visable light it total poo and if it starts to rain you better pray there's nothing that's going to run out in front of you, as visabilty turns to near zero, trust me i've tried.

they myths aren't true they won't melt your headlight not will they change colour of the reflectors, if that were true than HID would be a bad idea as it gives more heat off (i reckon) but so far so good not melted headlight or reflectors

There is one good thing about these off road lights, they look better than the standard halogen bulbs (style wise)

Its better to stick to the standard halogen bulbs or go to HID if you prefer brightness really. As these two are the only two bulbs worth having. though my personal preference is obviously the HID.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PHILIPS-X-TREM...em140251142455

are they the right size for the astra? or is there a differant size? or another set? never got bulbs for my astra before....

anyone used any bulbs like this before? any pics?

also if i went HID, how much do they usualy cost and whats involved when fitting???

are these good http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=350059473092 ?

It says "- Remember the LOWER the K rating the BRIGHTER the light. It is a common mistake to think the opposite!" but on that picture on the right the higher the k they look brighter... keef confused!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The K rating is the temperature they burn at (Kelvin)

There is a how to on here somewhere and they cost about £40-£50 a set.

If your putting them in standard headlights you need a H7 set

HID's are pretty much the same. I would get them from abroad as they are cheaper
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast