Thread: Windscreen Chip/Crack - MOT Failure?

kr00zin_uk

Windscreen Chip/Crack - MOT Failure?

I have a small chip/crack in the windscreen (less than 1cm in length & diameter). It is on the drivers side, right behind the steering column. And it is about 1cm up from the bottom edge of the glass.

Basically no matter how low/high you sit on the seat, it does not effect your visibility, as it is only about 1cm up from the dashboard. So you can see right the way up to the top of the bonnet without having to look through the chip.

I hope I have explained it well enough. Does anyone know for certain if this would be an MOT failure?

I really don't want to have to fork out money on repairing or obtaining a new windscreen, unless it is absolutely necessary!

Sorry I don't have a pic, I will try and take one when I next have access to the car in question and I find the time...

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    yes..

it should fail... if its a crack
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

kr00zin_uk
    Well it is more of a chip really.

I know that chips of a certain size, out of the drivers main field of view, are acceptable.

But the problem is, I think technically it is in the field of view (on paper), but in reality, it is way below the field of view. Like I said, you can see right up to the top of the bonnet and still not have to look through the chip.

Damn annoying though! I should have reported the motorbike for doing a hit and run by over taking me on a dual carriageway and going way over a 100!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cracks get bigger and seriously effect the strength of the screen. One more bit of debri could lead to a shattered screen - at 70+ on the motorway doesn't bear thinking about.

I would suggest replacement.

kr00zin_uk
    For anyone interested here is a link:

http://www.glassdoctors.co.uk/chipsandmot.html

My chip is less than 1cm (10mm), so it doesn't need to be replaced!

If that's the MOT regulations in this health and safety gone mad country, then it can't be that unsafe. Besides the windscreen is laminated, so it shouldn't shatter, but I do accept your point about it being structurally weaker.

It may also lead to a bigger chip/crack, but I am prepared to live dangerously and take that risk and accept the consequences!

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Why don't you get it repaired instead? Autoglass and the like now offer a free repair service through your insurance.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if i could get my windscreen replaced as it has a couple of cracks in it and a lot of scratches from worn window wipers, all i need to do now is take out windscreen insurance, hmmmm. I wonder if it will be strange if i take out windscreen insurance and then the next day claim from it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There will be a 'qualification period', so be careful!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im an MOT tester and as far as i understand the starter of the topic, So long as its no bigger then 10mm (1cm) in the swept area of "Zone 'A'" of the windscreen the it should only be an Advise not a fail. If outside "zone 'A'" so long as the chip/crack is no bigger then 40mm (4 cm ) the only exception is if there is multiple cracks/chips in either zone 'A' or any other part of the windscreen that obscures the drivers view.
    Former Astra: Mk3 1.4 K reg
    Current Astra: Mk4 1.4 V reg LS (The Half-Arsed Astra )

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    If it were me I'd go with Minxy's suggestion, assuming you're fully comp. I think it's only about £50 if you ain't, although if that's your glass excess you may as well get a new one. Also figure your no claims into it... a repair doesn't/shouldn't affect your no claims
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971