What can you do to an SRI 1.8??

thinking of buying 1

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that is quite possibly one of the vaguest questions ever asked!

One would assume u mean performance wise..... if so then not a lot in all honesty unless u have very deep pockets.

Gains dont tend to be that easily attainable on the 1.8 models - especially the latter Z18XE ones but theres a few ppl on this site doing just that and having good results.

All depends what ur really after and how much dosh u have to throw at the project.

Might be worthwhile considering a more "tuneable" engine or maybe just a more powerful engine from the off.

The 2.2 is a stonking motor if u can stretch to the purchase/insurance etc.

If u dont want stupid power then the standard run of the mill mods should see a nice healthy improvement on the 1.8 but dont expect much more unless u want to throw daft money into it.

Whats the figures of the one u are looking at?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    got about 3 and a half grand for a new astra so i was looking at a 2001-2002 plate probably

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol, thats like asking "how long is a piece of string?" There is so much you can do, just look through the garages on this forum or buy Total Vauxhall magazine, first thing to decide is what look you are trying to achieve, i think its good to have a picture in your head of the result!!Have fun Jx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If ur going into a 1.8 sri from an 8v then ur gonna notice a big difference anyway in terms of speed. The sri isn't a slow car by any means and by the time you've stuck a nice exhaust and some extra induction onto it you may well find it fast enough to keep you entertained for a while. As said above depends how much you can afford in terms of petrol and insurance etc if u can afford it get a 2.2. Thats about all the advice i can give to ur vague question!
    Astra coupe turbo 280bhp-sold
    BMW E60 5 Series M Sport

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    Might be worthwhile considering a more "tuneable" engine or maybe just a more powerful engine from the off.

I just don't get why people want to buy a car, or actually get a car and then ask questions about making it go faster.

The money you spend on making a slow car going marginally faster as well as having to notify your insurers to increase your premiums, could be spent on getting a better and faster car in the first place.

The manufacturers design cars with safety in mind and they tune them to go as fast as they can, within the realms of safety for that model. People don't think about all the testing that is involved for safe handling and reliability. I am always surprised that they think they can just unleash more power by doing some quick, cheap trick like flicking a switch to get more engine performance.

But the problem is, if you do increase the performance of the engine, they are then likely to forget about other stuff like needing to cool the engine to stop it from over heating, upgrading the brakes to stop quicker, getting wider tyres to stick to the road better, using stiffer, lowered suspension, so you don't roll on corners etc.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ian e rfc View Post
    Trade it in

Sorry, there's plenty u can do but you wont get alot back unless u spend big. Check the N/A engine forum.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    But the problem is, if you do increase the performance of the engine, they are then likely to forget about other stuff like needing to cool the engine to stop it from over heating, upgrading the brakes to stop quicker, getting wider tyres to stick to the road better, using stiffer, lowered suspension, so you don't roll on corners etc.

Sorry, but I would be inclined to think differently of the majority of our members on this site.

The Astra G (as this is referenced to) had no additional strengthening to the chassis etc or no real improvements in suspension/wheels/tyres etc then the other models even tho it (the Turbo for example) had an additional 50-70bhp more on tap from the 1.8 models used in the SRi.

On the wheels & tyres issue - it only ran on 215.40.17 rubber whereas the SRis were more than likely on 205.50.16 or similar and the brakes 308mm versus 280mm... suspension being the same 15-20mm lower etc.

I would expect most ppl on here who undergo "drastic" engine conversions like u refer to (like Ive just done) to change all required associated parts like handing, braking, wheels etc.....

Im not tryin to belittle what you said but I think in this instance most members on here would in fact change the associated parts and not just whack in a bigger engine and be done with it!

In this case though, I think the thread starter was just referring to making it a little more pokier and maybe taking it from the 115-125bhp area to maybe 150 or so..... not a massive conversion etc.

Rant over

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

GeordieBandit - couldn't have put it better matey...perfect comment

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    woop woop GeordieBandit for president (primeminister)!!

id say he is 100% right that the majority of people that do big conversions/major speed boost gains on their engine WILL uprate anything else that is needed and not just go "ooooooooo it faster, sod stopping"

but yeah, i think hes only talking about making it go that little bit fast and nipier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast