Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Tools needed to service 2001 Astra 1.7 Dti LS 16V ECO4

Hello all

I plan to do an Oil/ Oil Filter Change on my 2001 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTi with 110K miles, just bought this car with no service history.

I've never done an oil change before but because I drive 1000+ miles a week, I plan to do this myself every 2/3 months from now on.

So far I've got:
    Engine Flush - STP
    Oil - Havoline Fully Synthetic 05W40.
    Oil filter. - Original GM
    Engine oil treatment - Says it superchargees new oil on the tin!

Sump ring - Haven't got that, should I use the old one or is it really that necessary to change this? Where do you get these from?

What tools would I need? I believe I've most tools apart from oil filter wrench but if there is a list, please let me know before I start..

Steps I believe are:

1. Remove the oil cap .
    2. Add engine flush and idle 15 minutes (says on tin).
    3. Switch off engine.
    4. Remove engine cover from below and undo Sump nut slowly, collect oil in a can.
    5. Remove oil filter (what tools are needed?)
    6. Rub some oil on the new filter.
    7. Replace oil filter, and screw back on (is any care needed here like how tight etc)?
    8. Put the sump nut back on.
    9. Remove oil cap and fill 3/4 way full.
    10. Start engine and leave to run for a couple of mins.
    11. Fill remaining of 1/4 upto max mark.

It may be a trivial job for most but I just want to make sure I am doing it right first time as this is the only car we have.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2. check the oil is not above the max line when cold because when you add this product into the oil it will loosen any old excess oil stuck around the inside of your engine and can increse the volume that may take you above the max line and cause damage to valves and other engine parts. If you suspect a lot of gunge drain a little oil out of the sump first.

4. For safety reasons support vehicle on axel stands or blocks first.

5. There are various tools for removing metal oil filters such as a chain or strap.

6. Wipe clean the area around the engine where the filter mates and smear a litte clean oil around the filter seal with your finger.

7. When refitting the filter With a genuine part it should have a nut located at the bottom which must be set with a tork wrench, dont worry if you dont have this wrench do the filter up with your hands only as tight as you can. As you only have one car make sure you have all the tools you need to hand before starting, do not drian off oil or add flush as you wont be able to drive to get missed items.

9. Lower the vehicle onto a flat surface fill 3/4 oil let it run for a few seconds leave a couple of mins to let oil drain back into sump and top up to the line be careful not to overfill.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Spedo, I'v ealready done the service. I think I've done as you mentioned apart from checking oil level at start before adding engine flush. I drained oil only after running the engine for 15 minutes after adding engine flush.

Cheers..