I plan to do an Oil/ Oil Filter Change on my 2001 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTi with 110K miles, just bought this car with no service history.
I've never done an oil change before but because I drive 1000+ miles a week, I plan to do this myself every 2/3 months from now on.
So far I've got:
Engine Flush - STP
Oil - Havoline Fully Synthetic 05W40.
Oil filter. - Original GM
Engine oil treatment - Says it superchargees new oil on the tin!
Sump ring - Haven't got that, should I use the old one or is it really that necessary to change this? Where do you get these from?
What tools would I need? I believe I've most tools apart from oil filter wrench but if there is a list, please let me know before I start..
Steps I believe are:
1. Remove the oil cap .
2. Add engine flush and idle 15 minutes (says on tin).
3. Switch off engine.
4. Remove engine cover from below and undo Sump nut slowly, collect oil in a can.
5. Remove oil filter (what tools are needed?)
6. Rub some oil on the new filter.
7. Replace oil filter, and screw back on (is any care needed here like how tight etc)?
8. Put the sump nut back on.
9. Remove oil cap and fill 3/4 way full.
10. Start engine and leave to run for a couple of mins.
11. Fill remaining of 1/4 upto max mark.
It may be a trivial job for most but I just want to make sure I am doing it right first time as this is the only car we have.
Thanks for all your help in advance!