Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The "Euro" look, euro scene etc

Right

First time I told my neighbour what I was doing to my car, he went silent.

He is seriously into his VAG and owns a red corrado and a red golf driver.

He couldn't belive for one I had only got 7.5" alloys. Not used a stretched tire, only going for a 30mm drop, not smoothing the car.

Now his cars are nice:

Thats the best pic, haven't got the latest pic of his golf.

However the fixation on these scene for me really doesn't appeal. Think about the car's drivability. These drops are serious arse killers not to mention the damage to the car itself potentially, subframes etc. Plus our roads aren't the nicest.

He hated the wheels I went for BBS RK's but they look amazing on the car. Performance is great also, they spin up with no difference to the 16" so I have not lost anything in acceleration.

He would have gone for BBS RCs for example, a heavy wheel on a car with not much brute force.

Also the euro look really makes a car look cute, for me a car has to look fast while standing still. I like the agressive look my car now has.

It's a bit of a loss as to why everyone chases this look. Is it an art form, for aesthetics or am I missing something here about untold performance statistics.

Do you actually like the euro look on astras? Is this just a fad.

I think I am definitely missing something here so would really like to see your take on this...
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Its not done for performance, its done for looks.

I love the look, although wouldn't do it myself for the reasons you have mentioned, I like the performance of the car and big drops don't go well with driving fast and hard.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    massive fan of thw whole euro scene I really appreciate all aspects of modfiying cars but euro a lot of thought is put in to what is smoothed what isnt and the quality of the workmanship. I could never go all out euro due to me always having a idea that goes against the whole euro look, but will always be influenced by it.
    The VAG scene seem to think that what they do onl works on vag cars and are quite anal about it in my eyes, but its been proven over and over again the opel/vaux modified car scene can equaly match it, as well as the pugeot and certain citroen sectors. Fords never seem to pull it of though and jap cars that try it look very strange

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love the euro scene, its not until you look closely at the cars that you appreciate the time, effort and thought that has gone into them.

Status
    East Midlands RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i do like the look of some of the cars and do aporeciate the work they put in to there cars but would never do it to my car
    Astra GSi Turbo
    dap-performance.co.uk
    Live in the East Midlands?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    SWEEET CORRADO!!!! Hey the euro things been around for ages in some form I suppose its the opposite to our big wheels big bodykits etc. (not my thing at all well the bodykits!!!!) There is a nice astra on here from belgium that proves the impracticality of "euro", about an inch of clearance on the road but as a daily driver i think it can be done without going the whole hog and making it a show car which most "euro" cars are or they raise it back up for normal driving making it a smooth car with little wheels but we have our problems aswell big wheels/big drop rubbing on the arches,boot full of stereo etc.... Just out of curiosity you said about 16"s being the same so did you go for 17"s?? Why not go for 15"/14"s and have a rocket on acceleration its all a question of what you want from your car really the world would be a boring place if we all did the same there wouldnt be any point in modding changing your car cause everyone would be doing the same. I look for the work that has gone into creating to something unique without branding a style to it and leaving it out. But this is me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I love euro to bits but becasue i love jap cars more i like jdm better which is kind of similar any way but with my style of cars.
    There is so much money on the vag scene its stupid there was a mk2 golf with a chromed r32 engine in it at ed38 last yearand it must not have been used as it was mint.

Im thinking of going euro/cleaned sometime next year and i have no got my coilys but im having doubts becasue i cant find a site of wheels the i think suit the coupe. theres a lot of vag cars the are around 300bhp and dont get to be driven to there full potential which is a shame.

One thing what Brett said about the VAG scene being anal about who can go euro i can understand and it pi***s me off about them tbhother than that there so friendly until i say ive got a vauxhall lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    VAG think they are Euro!
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I now have a completely different view on the Euro look since going to GTi. The time, money and detail gone in to each car is amazing, and its almost to a point there is no limits to what can be done. I also read in a recent issue of Performance VW shaving/rubbing down all the lettering etc off of tyre walls, hence its an endless game of modding

So I am a big fan of this now.

For those at Billing when the guys from Belgium turned up their cars got so much attention.
    >>Park up, line up the cars, all on airbags and dropped to the floor<<

We had many a discussion while at GTi, and if you were to go down the same modifying route here in the UK, people just wouldn't get it.

I came back with a few ideas on how to change mine, one of them being new rims, stretch tyres, and smoothed bumpers. So not to in your face.

Also our cars at GTi, (Mine, Scottyboys, and DaveCoupe) Stood out like a saw thumb at the show and to be honest looked crap next to other cars !
    Astra Sri Turbo

CS4 276BHP/325lbft

LMF Vauxhall - 01858 433599

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yep one of the comments they said is that the vauxhall boys in the UK cannot do euro.

they liked the continental vxs though
    Drives:Mazda 6 MPS- Zoom Zoom

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast