Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Migraines anyone?

Anyone else here get migraines?

The link below is one of the first 'decent' discussions on migraine/caffeine relationships, seriously suggests that weaning yourself entirely off caffeine (tea, coffee, chocolate, many painkillers etc) can go a massive way to cutting out migraines almost completely.

http://www.caffeineandmigraine.com/

I've had migraine attacks since my early 20's, they probably started ~23-24 - I've always been a tea and coffee lover and wierdly when I have a migraine I've always felt nauseous at the thought of drinking them, but the first day I feel better I'm right back on them again.

I'm now on my ~6th day of being entirely caffeine free. I spent the first 4 days with a migraine that refused to shift, but yesterday and today I've been pretty much free of all symptoms. I didn't do the weaning off thing mind, never really considered it, but caffeine withdrawl headaches are said to be the same as a migraine - I'm thinking that I have a migraine, keep off caffeine, then the next day straight back on, kind of bouncing around between withdrawl and overdose.

Triptan based treatment from the Doctors does help me but sometimes it doesn't - you can also get rebound headaches from these and other over the counter pain killers which is not good. I did find the preventative Pizotifen treatment worked well but it left me knackered all the time - not good with kids around!

So I guess, in short, if you get migraine and have not tried a gradual then full caffeine avoidance it is really worth a go. I'm hoping I'm finally on to something to reduce the number of migraines I get, recently I've been pushing 10-15+ a month which is crippling.

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I seem to get my migraines around a certain tmie of the month, so have put it down to hormones.

I do drink alot of coffee at work, but then I would expect to get migraines at other times, not just around the same time each month, so ruled it out as a cause.

I suppose with everyone, the causes are different.
    Why not sign up and join us.
    Become a member today

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    The site above really is worth a read though. He also mentions migraines at 'a certain time of the month' because the hormones produced at that time affect caffeine metabolisation, and he strongly suggests this is why you get the migraine, the hormones trigger a caffeine withdrawl headache which if you believe it all, is the same as a migraine.

Overall the website suggests that there may not be any other cause for migraine beyond caffeine - I'm certainly feeling so much better over the past day or two than I've felt in years.

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    mmmm might switch to decaf then, both here and at work.
    Become a member today

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lol...some mention of decaf in the 'letters' section, not as caffeine free as they'd like you to think

Way I figure it, it is easy to cut out caffeine - if my migraines drop in frequency noticeably then voila, if not then nothing is lost beyond a few days of no tea.

Darn I am missing tea and coffee though, walked in to my IL's house today and they'd just put a pot of fresh coffee on and it smelt sooo nice...

Worth gradually weaning yourself off the stuff if you do try though, 4 days in a row of migraine is a royal killer!

Status
    The Invisible Woman
    Drives
    Zafira
    Mentioned in
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    hot chocolate then ? lol
    Become a member today

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Use to get them so severe that I couldn't see anything sort of blindness.
    Very scary but now just get the lightning bolt migraines.
    I'm like a bad penny, old, dirty, and appears when not wanted.
    Guess who's writing a victorian fantasy book. #JamesPurcell #The Diaries of James Purcell

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    I used to suffer from migraines regularly too... chocolate used to be my trigger, probably explains why I eat next to none of it now

According to my doc, it was / is hereditary in my case, so all I could do ws try and manage it as best as I could. I still get the occasional one now. Caffeine has never really triggered me oddly enough, but it is different for everyone
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Chocolate has caffeine like chemicals in, and some chocolate has seratonin in (never knew that until today) and it is imbalance of seratonin that can cause migraine...which is a bugger, as little one helped us make some lovely looking gooey chocolate muffins this afternoon and I was looking forward to one!

Suggestion from a few readings is that a number of stimulants can cause the migraine, not just limited to caffeine, so nicotine and many others, which perhaps explains why chocolate is a trigger for some and not for others.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have been a migraine suffer since my 20s tried all kinds and nothing seems to work have you heard about the watch you can wear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast