Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indicator problem

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Looking at that diagram, Autosparks, there's only the one indicator relay? I've got a Mk4 with the i/s indicators sometimes not working outside, while the o/s are fine.

I'm 98% certain the problem is a relay, rather than a fuse (would work or not), or a loose wire (even when stationary, the problem persists).

Can you shine any light?

Also, hello. I'm new here.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Welcome mate

Although it's only 1 relay inside there at 2 relays, one for left and one for right.

That could be why one side works fine and the other not
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So if I get a new relay, plug it in, it should work fine? I called in at the local Vauxhall dealership, and the guy there recommended taking it elsewhere. Clueless, in a word.

Cheers for your help.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Before replacing it when it goes funny nexy tap that relay and see if they sprng into life, will definatly point towards the relay then. There are other things it could be but the relay would be the first thing to try

I'm just going to split this into another thread so hopefully you can find it easy enough
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hello again, Autosparks. I took your advice, and took that part of the dash to bits, and waited for it to misbehave again. Predictably, it didn't until I put it all back together again.

I took it to see an auto electrician, and it was working, but he suggested that it might be the hazard flasher unit.

Since then, the LHS indicators have been working when the engine is running and the car moving, and not when the engine is off and the car is stationary - locking and unlocking the car wouldn't make the indicators light, for example.

Until this evening. I've been out and about on four journeys, and they worked (consistently) on the first one, and not on the last three (although there was the occasional glimmer).

Inside, the signs of the indicators not working are the signal on the dash not showing for left, and the regular ticking noise from the relay is about twice as fast. Using the hazards just makes the RHS go.

Sorry to be back here picking brains, but if you've any ideas, they would be appreciated!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    you'll prob kill me thinking im being smart but im not honestly, did you check replace all the indicator bulbs on the troublesome side of the car? i had 2 similar problems like this and a "cheap" bulb triggered the whole one side of my indicators to misbehave and then another time all bulbs went, sods law and all that......
    i would if i could but i cant (be arsed)
    maybe I can....clicky ......now sold !

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A bulb going was my first thought, but they did all work once or twice after they stopped working. If you see what I mean.

The fast ticking is normally the sign of a bulb gone, but it's not that simple. Which is a shame, as I could fix that dead easy! Cheers for the input though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's sometimes caused by a replacement bulb not being the correct wattage. Why not remove the right hand bulbs and fit them in the left and vice versa, if the problem follows the bulbs then that's your problem. If not then I'd suspect either a poor earth or a faulty relay. I do have a spare indicator relay around somewhere.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think that the hazard flasher button can be safely eliminated - I've just set about the dash with a screwdriver, and removed it completely. No difference.

The bulbs are all original parts - I've not had to replace one as yet, so it could
    easily be the earth or relay. Following what Autosparks said above, I've tried tapping the relay(s), and that had no effect. :/

Looks like I might have to bob out to Halfords and get myself a Haynes, to see where the earth is...

Hopefully it will be dry after work to I can try swapping bulbs about without getting p1ssed wet through!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I'd now think the problems lies with the postive wiring to the indicators as it doesn't light when your locking/unlocking your car but does with the indicators

I'd have to look into the wiring diagrams to work out where the problem may be now but TBH if it started playing up after the autoelectrician looked at it i'd take it back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast