Thread: Astravan 1.7 DTi 2002 Sportive Y17DT

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astravan 1.7 DTi 2002 Sportive Y17DT

Well basically driving home friday night and i started getting a whislte from the turbo and started losing power luckily i was quite close to home so i pulled over and the car started redlining by it self i took they key out and it was still running, had a 10mm spanner in the back so i disconnected the battery and it was still redlining, ( didnt think to just put it in 5th and stall it at the time) by this time it has overheated and the radiator popped, white smoke was pouring out the back i could see a thing even the fire brigade were out! Eventually it cut out. I left it overnight as i was so pissed off at the time, next morning it it starts but only revs to 3k still poures out with white smoke and turns off ok. basically ive had someone look at it and they said the turbo went and the engine was running on oil, what i want to know is weather i will just get away with buying a new turbo and rad? or do i need a new engine? Been told the headgasket might of gone aswell?
    Any help would really appreciate it.
    Im a noob on this forum would someone point me in the right direction where i would post a wanted add for parts. many thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    same thing happend to my 306 d turbo. the turbo went and was doing the same i did all the same as you but them decided to stall it. i was running on redline for about 5 mins but the rad didnt blow, just changed the turbo and all was fine. not sure about the headgasket on yours, i would get a pressure test done first should tell ya if its done any damage.
    hope this helps

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ta mate, whats a pressure test?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you wouls need to get it done at a garage. its just a test to make sure there is pressure holding and not escaping through any holes cracks etc. would get ya rad replaced first tho.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    think im just going to buy a new engine rather than spend money on a turbo etc to keep finding problems