Thread: problem with my MK4 astra

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

problem with my MK4 astra

Hi all, i have had my astra for just under a year it has around 77k miles on its on a 53 plate and its a MK4 1.6 16v twinport. Basically the car was fine when i started driveing it this morning i got about 2 miles down a stright road which i stopped for about 3 traffic lights, turned right on to a bit of a bumpy road and stopped for a junction. When i stopped the car was hunting for a idle speed up and down from 15k revs to 5k revs so i turned round to come home, pulled on the drive and let the engine idle and it was finebut i got a really bad egg smell comeing from the exhaust back box but no smell from the engine bay. I reved the car to around 50k - 60k reves turned it off and started it a few times and the idle speed seems fine but the smell is there. I have the car booked in at a mates garage on monday to have the diagnostics checked but it think it will come back with no faults.

Any ideas ??.

Akita

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The smell is proberly from the catalic convertor but i dont know what the problem is.

Mark

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astra mark View Post
    The smell is proberly from the catalic convertor but i dont know what the problem is.

Mark
    I'm thinking that the cat may need replaceing but not sure if it wouyld make it have eratic idle speed.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like your cat is dead m8 if that smell is comming out of the exhaust, has your emissions light come on? Yes it can make it idle earaticly mine did when the cat went can't explain why but it did :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also it may be worth checking your EGR valve as that can cause erartic idle
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi thanks, can any one tell me how to chack the EGR valve to see if its working, if its not working or intermittent will it show up on the diagnostics check i will get done on monday as no management lights came on. I have just read a bit about the EGR valve and it says i would get poor acceleration, but the acceleration and and the all drive was not different to normal just eratic idel speed and the egg smell. Can any one give me a idea of a new cat fitted and a price for a EGR valve.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New cat will cost you a bit as yours has the manicat so you need a whole new exhaust manifold with the cat in which aint cheap new but check breakers yards and ebay I managed to find one for mine for £80 on ebay iirc a new one from vaux is about £500.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 1.6 (non twinport) has the manicat, i panicked about price at first, VXL quoted me 475 quid, found one on Ebay for £116
    Black MK4 1.6 SXI, Just had a polish!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well after no engine management light, no loss of power and driving fine, it turned out to be the egr valve. Which now seems fine after i reved the b**ls off it that day, after speaking to vauxhall them selfs they say i possibley got stuc and it will be fine (my engine is ment to be a good model) and one guy claimed to have worked for vauxhall for 8 years and only ever changed one EGR on my model engine. What would be a good fuel adative to put in the engine which may lubricate the EGR and also help the engine ????.