Thread: Bit of newby advice needed

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bit of newby advice needed

Now i'll be honest i'm too lazy to spend hours cleaning my car, however obviously i want it looking at least half decent. What would you all suggest is the best course of action to keep it looking half acceptable but will only take an hour or so a week? Just a wash and a standard polish?

Oh and my tip: Armourite interior dashwipes are brilliant for external plastics.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    For only an hour a week i would say you need to spend 6 hours on weekend to start with to lay the foundation of a good clay , polish and wax and from then on just wash and quick detail and buff every week which i can do in about 90 minutes.
    Heavenly Paintwork is simply Heaven Itself.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vxrmarc View Post
    For only an hour a week i would say you need to spend 6 hours on weekend to start with to lay the foundation of a good clay , polish and wax and from then on just wash and quick detail and buff every week which i can do in about 90 minutes.
    Ditto.

Oh and my tip; Poorboy's World's Natural Look Dressing is better
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree, just once give it a really good thorough going over, the whole works (or, if your budget extends this far, pay a professional DETAILER such as someone off www.detailingworld.co.uk, NOT a valeter! to come and give your car a full prep, including machine paint correction and a good polish/wax, the initial outlay will pay off in the long run) Once you have given the car a full thorough clean/polish/wax/valet the interior then it will protect it from the elements and a quick wash or quick detail once a week will keep it in good order. Give it another thorough detail at least every 6 months and make sure you remove contaminants as soon as you see them (eg bird muck - wipe it off with a baby wipe or similar as soon as you see it, don't let it sit on the car for 24 hours before you deal with it or it will permanently damage your paintwork as it is highly corrosive)

The first clean is always hard work but it really, really is worth the effort as it means that next time you clean it all the dirt slides off so much easier (don't forget alloy wheel seal to protect your alloys from brake dust baking onto it and to make it easier to clean next time) and it takes less time to get the same results.

Some of my customer's cars will take me about 5 hours to do the initial valet (interior, exterior, wash, hoover, shampoo, trim dress/leather care, polish, wax etc) but the next time I go to do a mini valet (wash, polish, wax, hoover, trim dress) it'll take me about an hour and is relatively easy money.

Kirsty
    www.procleanvalet.com

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wash, polish, wax are all fine. Whats the clay malarky about? Is it vital and highly beneficial? The alloy seal sounds a great idea though!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Clay removes all the bonded contaminants from the paint work and makes it silky smooth in prep for polishing. Remember, preparation is the key!!!

see here for a full guide on claying; http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=107346
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    Clay removes all the bonded contaminants from the paint work and makes it silky smooth in prep for polishing. Remember, preparation is the key!!!

see here for a full guide on claying; http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=107346
    Thats brilliant mate. Just need the car now!