Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: much in it between 1.8 sxi and 2.2 coupe?

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    johnsastra16v's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    much in it between 1.8 sxi and 2.2 coupe?

    Figures of both dont seem to far apart.

    1sec between them 0-60
    10mph between them topspeed
    2.2 has 30nM torque more

    how will these compare to each other on the road

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    Turbo_Scott's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,474
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's 0.3secs between them - 0-60.

    The coupe will have a higher top speed due to better aerodynamics.

    30nM ... that's not alot, and it fluctuates from engine to engine so you could test two cars with almost the same torque. (Lower than standard on 2.2 and higher than standard on 1.8 .


    There's no difference between them IMO, go with the cheapest insurance.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    johnsastra16v's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    ive seen 0-60 of coupe as 8.2secs
    0-60 of 1.8 sxi 9.5

    that seems to be in every review ive seen. so hardly the 0.3secs you saw scott.

    my 2.2 beat my mate in his c2 code which is 125bhp on the 1/4mile, so the 2.2 should have no problems seeing off the astra 1.8

    right?

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Ffoeg's Avatar
    2170:01:06
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34,591
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's sod all difference the the aerodynamics between a hatch and a coupe

    3 dr hatch - Cd 0.304
    Coupe Cd 0.28

    ...and what slight difference there is will only start to show at speeds the cars aren't capable of

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    Sten's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Paisley ,
    Posts
    16,452
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 2.2 will win, but it's never going to be far ahead imo. That's assuming both drivers have the same ability.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    Turbo_Scott's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,474
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsastra16v View Post
    ive seen 0-60 of coupe as 8.2secs
    0-60 of 1.8 sxi 9.5

    that seems to be in every review ive seen. so hardly the 0.3secs you saw scott.

    my 2.2 beat my mate in his c2 code which is 125bhp on the 1/4mile, so the 2.2 should have no problems seeing off the astra 1.8

    right?

    C2 Code - Citroen C2? French? ... did it break?

    The 1.8 SXI/SRI is 8.5secs from what I've read. (123bhp/125PS).


    I agree with Ffoeg the Aerodynamics wont kick in until high speeds but I think 120+ will begin to favour the coupe, below that, it wont make a difference.

    The steep rear window & sharp cut off hatch IIRC creates a vortex trying suck the car backwards, whereas the smoother slines and less steep sloping rear window and longer boot section of the coupe gives the airflow a smoother ride and creates less of a vortex IE: disturbed air.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    johnsastra16v's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,162
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    fairy muff.

    the c2 code is a suprisingly nice car actualy lol- was very impressed with it

    il have to go against my mate then at the pod. as the 1.8 sxi is his. i finally managed to convert him to vaux after a long VAG ownership

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    Turbo_Scott's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,474
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsastra16v View Post
    i finally managed to convert him to vaux after a long VAG ownership

    Why did you do that to him? is he still your friend?
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    Ffoeg's Avatar
    2170:01:06
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34,591
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Scott View Post
    The steep rear window & sharp cut off hatch IIRC creates a vortex trying suck the car backwards, whereas the smoother slines and less steep sloping rear window and longer boot section of the coupe gives the airflow a smoother ride and creates less of a vortex IE: disturbed air.
    Aerodynamics doesn't strictly work like that

    One of the major factors is the max cross sectional area of the car as it trys to punch a hole in the air. The coupe's advantage is the lower roof line, ergo smaller max cross section. Take the mirrors off a hatch and it'll be the same

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Turbo_Scott's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11,474
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    Aerodynamics doesn't strictly work like that

    One of the major factors is the max cross sectional area of the car as it trys to punch a hole in the air. The coupe's advantage is the lower roof line, ergo smaller max cross section. Take the mirrors off a hatch and it'll be the same

    The lower roof line also means the less steep sloped rear window and boot section so the air can glide over the car easier and be less disturbed, you could argue the rear wiper on a hatch interferes with the air too . The more the air is disturbed by steep windows, rear windows, short boots, wipers etc the worse the vortex will be and the more it'll try to suck the car backwards.

    Hence why most, if not all, supercars take the Coupe approach and why the GSI is 5mph slower top speed over the Astra Coupe Turbo.

    However, I'm not arguing, we're both right, there's not much in it and this is all getting a bit too technical for the question that was originally asked .
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ASTRA COUPE TURBO OR 406 COUPE V6 210BHP - SUPER CHIP SAFE?
    By andyfoz in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 29-08-2004, 21:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •