Thread: MK4 - is LPG fuel pump same as petrol? Or something else...

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

MK4 - is LPG fuel pump same as petrol? Or something else...

Offchance but does anyone know if the petrol fuel pump runs all the time on a factory converted LPG MK4 Astra (2002) even if running on LPG?

I have a noise from the rear of my car which appears to be the fuel pump (garage said this too) but the noise stays whether I'm on petrol or LPG - this is the confusing bit, as I would assume seperate fuel pumps for each one so the noise would only be apparent on one fuel type. Noise does not change with engine speed and is there at standstill and whilst driving, with no change to the noise.

If perhaps the petrol pump is always running then this would explain things, and so would the same pump being used for both fuels but I am doubting that without looking into it further...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it should turn itself off an the gas doesnt have a pump as such cos its under pressure it has an atomiser box up front that changes the liquid into gas you could possibly put a switch in to turn pump off when your on gas

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    At a guess I would say the fuel pump stays on even when running on LPG.
    Then when you switch over to petrol the change is instant.

The pump running won't do any harm as unused petrol just gets returned to the tank.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Which, if true, explains why the noise is there all the time...is this something that I should lookat changing? Assuming if the fuel pump goes then I can't start the car since it starts on petrol! Expensive job?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Which, if true, explains why the noise is there all the time...is this something that I should lookat changing? Assuming if the fuel pump goes then I can't start the car since it starts on petrol! Expensive job?
    I'm not sur on wether you need to change it "just in case" Although the car certainly won't strat without it.

I don't know if it's the same pupm but an uprated one for my turbo is around £100. Fitting can be done yourself and only takes 10 mins (Slightly longer for an uprated one).

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers, in the garage getting new springs on, will mention it when I pick it up!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    but it should turn itself off and only turn on when fuel presure is low ie the switch tells it too that way it will always start when swithched over as their is fuel pressure not constantly running i have installed a couple of kits on early v8 land rovers an thats how it worked on them

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    See, with my car, what is does and what it should do are different things! Could be that the thing is faulty so stays on all the time but shouldn't...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My astra is lpg, and i highly doubt the fuel pump is running when the lpg is on

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    No one is sure though...garage today tried to suggest it might be my exhaust making the rear bumper vibrate...hmm...given it does this at idle, low and high speeds, reckon it isn't the bumper! They did think it was feasible that the fuel pump was on all the time...will keep an ear on the situation for a while and see how it goes.