Thread: Novice spraying question(s)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Novice spraying question(s)

This is a long one sorry, I keep adding bits.

Right, I'm preparing to paint the side door trims, a wing mirror, and perhaps the centre console but the console will not in the ultra blue the rest of the car is in, it'll probably be a gun metal or dark'ish silver...

Just brought a can of 2k paint in 21B (Ultra Blue), I was rather stupid as I didn't say what type of paint to get, as before I've avoided spraying with 2k, as I thought is was too dangerous..I might be being a bit over presumptuous but I've always used cellulose paints in the past, well actually I'm not sure I have, just halfords stuff basically. So yeah, its my fault I got this stuff, so I'll use this can and see how it goes..I got one of those 3m type respirators from machine mart .. and done some googling into using this stuff so I think I'm alright.

I've read the howto's.. and this site is excellent, so thanks to anyone who helps etc.. one of my questions to where do I get the masking paper, as newspaper seems ok but its a ******* having to mask bits of newspaper to one another..masking paper looks easier to use..but where do I get it from? I'm now thinking maybe the paint supplier? I should have asked them but I didn't and its a proper drive to them..so b&q or wickes have something similar?

Also I've read about hardener..as I brought a spray can of the 2k paint, I can't add anything to it..also don't have the equipment either..so what kinda temps should I be praying for??? Above 18/19degrees seems ad but I'm a novice at this so, what do you think?

I think thats all for now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might be a stupid one but are you planning on spraying them on the car?? as would be easier to do off the car no masking up, the mirrors um well take it its a mk4 will come off and so will the side strips i think this in the "how to" As for the hardener its in the can mate hence 2k paint and hardener. I find anything around room temp 20deg is good but im no expert at painting. Hope this helps.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doug2783 View Post
    Might be a stupid one but are you planning on spraying them on the car?? as would be easier to do off the car no masking up, the mirrors um well take it its a mk4 will come off and so will the side strips i think this in the "how to" As for the hardener its in the can mate hence 2k paint and hardener. I find anything around room temp 20deg is good but im no expert at painting. Hope this helps.
    True considering the weather, its raining here (Essex), so yea I'll probs take off the parts.

How much would a can spray??? I've just noticed the front bumper is marked, so I'll probably do that.. should I get another can??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've done some spraying before with cans and with a spray gun. The cans I felt were slightly harder to use as they had a tendency to clog once i got a nice spray action going, so took a little more work (and a few cans) in forming the desired finish.

Its really hard to tell how many you would need as it will vary on
    1. the cleanliness of ur spray surroundings (as you don't wanna start spraying and find some dust or a leaf has decided to attach itself to ur paintwork),
    2. your technique (as a novice sprayer i'd recommend start the spray off the area u wanna work on, then once a nice distribution of paint starts flowing, then continue it over the item being sprayed)
    3. if you get paint run from over spraying or spraying too close
    4. the amount of area ur gonna spray
    5. most importantly..... if ur happy with it and don't decide to remove it all and start again
    Just a quick tip, don't be frightened on squeezing the trigger of the can that little bit more. Going by past experience it is a quick way of getting an uneven cover of paint.

Where in Essex r u?

PS. use a touch up pen for the bumper, depending on size and depth of the scratch. Run ur nail (softly) at a 90degree angle to the scratch, if ur nail sits inside it then filling the scratch is required.

PPS. post a pic of the marked bumper with some clear close ups
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should be able to spray them with one can but i find you tend to waste alot spraying little things but if your planning to paint the bumper i would say you will need another can or two just in case. Might be worth seeing how much a bodyshop would do your bumper for as cans are not too great for getting a good finish on larger things??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh m8 spray cans are crap for anthing bigger than a wing mirror / spoiler. if you dont get enough paint on then your gonna end up with chips all over it. and the paint dries so soft that even flies will be imbedded in the paint an wont come out. pay a body shop to do it or you'll end up paying first then again for them to do it in the end anyway.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just reading above,

Somethings not right here.

You cant had hardener to a 2k spray can, Also if it is 2k then it wont have hardener mixed as it will have gone off by the time you get the.

2k with standard hardener goes off in 40 mins baked at 80c so at room temperature would go off in just a few hours.

Without seeing the can i cant really say but i would say its a 2k/solvent base coat which is still bad for you if you breathe it in but i wont require hardener as the solvents in it react the air causing it go off.

When using this build it up in light coats and allow a good 30 mins to flash off between coats because if you dont it will solvent pop when drying and you will get a white milky finish in parts with loads of little pop holes in.

Its a pain int he arse and pig to get out once you get it, Something we are get alot of at work atm due to shit lacquer we are using

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demogorgon View Post
    Its really hard to tell how many you would need as it will vary on

the cleanliness of ur spray surroundings (as you don't wanna start spraying and find some dust or a leaf has decided to attach itself to ur paintwork),

Its just a normal garage, though I've got a large sturdy workbench to put it on.. will give the whole thing a good sweep..there's a couple of cob webs with spiders the size of bricks lol ..but nothing a good sweep can't handle.

your technique (as a novice sprayer i'd recommend start the spray off the area u wanna work on, then once a nice distribution of paint starts flowing, then continue it over the item being sprayed)

I have sprayed some things before, a few times its gone okay, no drips or runs, even technique..but I get the urge to spray thicker coats..which is something I really should get out of, as it leads to runs .. the last time I sprayed was outside, no wind, almost perfect conditions but I hurried the final coat, which led to it running..so I waited sanded and then it was evening time, sprayed and the paint went whitish in parts..which I presume is from the temperature being to cold and the paint not drying correctly..I was being impatient, so I guess I deserved it.

Just a quick tip, don't be frightened on squeezing the trigger of the can that little bit more. Going by past experience it is a quick way of getting an uneven cover of paint.

Yeah, this is a something I should pay attention to..I have a habit of just thinking going over it once more, which leads to an uneven coat and runs but for some reason this only occurs to me after doing it

Where in Essex r u?

Rayleigh, towards Southend way.

PPS. post a pic of the marked bumper with some clear close ups

I'll take some photo's tomorrow and post
    Quote Originally Posted by doug2783 View Post
    Might be worth seeing how much a bodyshop would do your bumper for as cans are not too great for getting a good finish on larger things??
    I've got the bonnet to get done after some **** bashed me and drove off, the bumper, wing mirror, etc and the quote for the bumper alone was cheapest £280 ..actually I didn't mention the wing mirror when I asked..so bumper and bonnet was just under £500.. I'm broke at the moment, so will have to get just the bonnet done professionally, the bumper was scraped ..though I guess I'll probably do the wing mirror and centre console first, if I have no problems will probably try the bumper

there's another thing, the bumper being pretty big, how do you spray it in one go, evenin thin coats without moving it.. I have a mesh grid laying about (http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/bd/c5/924e_1.JPG) attaching it to the roof of the garage and use some kitchen hooks to hook the bumper on to.. yeah thats a bit elaborate isn't it, though I haven't thought of this problem before...

Quote Originally Posted by garethcoupe16v View Post
    Without seeing the can i cant really say but i would say its a 2k/solvent base coat which is still bad for you if you breathe it in but i wont require hardener as the solvents in it react the air causing it go off.
    Its Vauxhall 21B Ultra Blau, I think he meant Blue..maybe he's french.. ???
    2K B/coat DB .... Is what is says on the can. Then I got Body Auto Clear 496 2K clear Lacquer

Sorry my spelling is shite.

thanks for the advice..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Yeah, this is a something I should pay attention to..I have a habit of just thinking going over it once more, which leads to an uneven coat and runs but for some reason this only occurs to me after doing it "

there's no harm in going over it one more time, just need to leave a decent gap in between coats. how far is where u live from colchester?
    Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demogorgon View Post
    how far is where u live from colchester?
    probably 50 mins drive from Rayleigh to Colchester mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast