Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP - returning written off vehicle to the road.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HELP - returning written off vehicle to the road.

Does anyone know where I stand with this - I've returned a written off vehicle to the road before, but on the previous occasion it came from a salvage yard, with no v5, tax or MOT. We repaired the vehicle (the original scrapheapchallenge), applied for V5, got VIC check, got V5, got MOT, got Tax, got insurance, job done.

HOWEVER, on this occasion it's my own car, it already has a full MOT and about 5 months tax on it, has been written off while I stored it and retained salvage, and I still have the V5. I will start repair as soon as I get the payment for the value of the vehicle.

So, what next, in terms of paperwork, am I going to have to fork out on a new MOT again even though it had literally only JUST had one when the accident occurred? Do I have to apply for tax again, should I cancel the tax on it, claim it back then re-apply? as I already have a V5 where does this stand with the VIC check etc? I'm guessing you have to give it back so they can endorse it with the words "this vehicle has been substantially repaired and/or accident damaged"

Anyone any idea what order I get things done in and how?

Cheers guys.

Kirsty.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey you......not 100% sure but i think it will have to be VIC checked to make sure it's road safe. once you have that the mot should be good....
    THE MAN WITH A PLAN....(I THINK)

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    hasnt this one already been a write off tho? if so them just get the VIC check then away you go! how much is the repair costs going to come to??

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would claim the tax back mate as its wasted money if the car is just sat, then re-tax it when its ready and road worthy. As it has been written off it will need a VIC test to be put back on the road, and i believe it will also need re MOTing, but im not 100 percent sure bout the MOT.
    Black MK4 1.6 SXI, Just had a polish!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive done a few cat c write off's & got a duplicate mot with no probs so as far as im aware you will not need to re mot it

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Is it really worth repairing? The cost may run higher than the value of the car in which case you're better off cutting your losses.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    Is it really worth repairing? The cost may run higher than the value of the car in which case you're better off cutting your losses.
    my exact thoughts also, possibly better using what money you get from the insurance plus the money you would use to fix it to buy another car!

313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sri_kev View Post
    hasnt this one already been a write off tho? if so them just get the VIC check then away you go! how much is the repair costs going to come to??
    No, this one hasn't, it did have minor suspension damage when I got it as it went sideways into a kerb, but it wasn't written off.

Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    at the moment returning it to the road is actually the cheapest of all the options researched. Basically needs getting on a jig to pull straight (£100-£200, mates rates), GSi bumper (which I already have) spraying up and putting on (about £100, if that) and a new boot (about £30 if I get one already the right colour - they're common enough, and it saves on respraying one) and she's done.

Quote Originally Posted by sri_kev View Post
    my exact thoughts also, possibly better using what money you get from the insurance plus the money you would use to fix it to buy another car!
    I couldnt afford to replace her with something equal or better with the money I'd get. I get £550 from the insurance as they could only assess it as a "clean, low mileage merit", but I get to keep the car for free. The amount of time/money/effort and waiting around for stuff to sell which would be involved in breaking her, stripping all the good stuff off and selling it means that that option only remains as plan B if she doesn't pull straight properly on the jig, which 3 experts have already said they see no reason why she shouldn't.

All I really need to know is the legal side of the paperwork tbh, did I waste the £50+ on the fresh MOT just before she was written off (be a bit narked if that is the case) and what order do I do stuff in - repair, vic, V5, re MOT??? worth cancelling tax/reinstating it?

Just a bit lost lol.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    detax it and get started on the work and once thats in progress sort the paper work out.

313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    wot catagory right off is it as think it cat d then you have to get it checked and dvla will contact you with an appointment if it c or less then dont do anything mate as for mot you just leave it til it needs 1
    courtney stage 3 zafira,Mitsubishi evo geek mapped to 389 and 470 lb of torque

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast