Thread: astra g de-cat

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra g de-cat

hi i got an astra g 1.6 sxi twinport and was lookin for a de-cat for it but dont no wer to get one from anyone no a place thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Powerflow etc custom places.

Why make your car illegal with the amount of emissions testing stations these days?

You'll gain a pathetic amount of BHP/Torque and have an illegal car.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cats aren't a legal requirement Scott only for the MOT and first reg iirc and alot of modern cars can pass an MOT without a cat.

What year is the car m8? The later astras had the cats in the exhaust manifold so you would need a whole new mani made up which isnt going to be cheap, if it has an inline cat then it will be cheaper and easier. Have you thought about a sports cat instead of a de-cat? For your engine it would be better as the gains from a de-cat on the smaller engines arent really worth it, you get more noise and a bit more poke. Also your emissions light will be on with a de-cat unless you have the lambda sensor turned off (i think) but I do know it will be on as mine was when I had a de-cat. Again custom places will make up a de-cat for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffoeg View Post
    It has happened in the past , but I do try to be discrete but a 'poo with a view' is one of life's simple pleasures IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    i have owned two fannys that have blown smoke

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell18 View Post
    Cats aren't a legal requirement Scott only for the MOT and first reg iirc and alot of modern cars can pass an MOT without a cat.
    A cat is there to keep emissions down, so therefore if it's needed for an MOT, its needed for the other 364days of the year too.

Yes some cars dont need one and those registered before 1992 don't need them either. (Mk1 & Mk2 Astras).
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if your car is not MOT passable then surely its not road worthy?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey mate I know what you're saying if it won't pass an MOT it's not roadworthy but it's not anything really to do with the road wothiness of your car that it would fail on it's the emissions limit that the gov have brought in that it would fail on so the car would be totally safe to drive...
    IT'S NOT HOW FAST YOU DRIVE IT'S HOW YOU DRIVE FAST!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    back to topic please.

as said above any powerflow/ custom exhaust place should be able to help but if the cat is in the mani then its going to be a no no realy.
    astra sri 2.0 turbo xp sports hatch

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow jam On Twitter
    Right first of all you need to realise that removing the CAT MAY push the emissions over the edge and therefore your car will fail. Its never been proven although I have seen it claimed that people have de-catted their car and its passed the MOT emmissions test. A CAT isn't a legal requirement of the MOT test emmissions are.

Secondly you need to know what engine you have to find whether its possible at all. The later Z16 engines have a mani cat where the CAT is mounted on the manifold. Without removing the manifold removing the CAT and fashioning a suitable pipe the now decatted manifold you'll struggle. The earlier X16 engines have a CAT that is underslung (Under the car) and a normal manifold. These are the easiest as you can remove the cat and run a straight through pipe which any powerflow or good exhaust place can sort for you.

You 'should' be able to remove the manifold from a X engine and put it onto a Z engine with a little bit of work and a remap. A remap will be needed to sort out the emissions side of things and stop it from throwing up an error message and putting your car in limp mode. I haven't seen it done but theoretically it is possible.

Hope this is more helpful than the previous responses mate. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

jam
    Its a jam thing

Haec credam a deo pio, a deo justo, a deo scito?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    seeing as the original post says "twinport" then its obviously a Z16XEP and thus a manicat is fitted

If it was a normal singleport Z16XE then Id advise getting a cast manifold from a X16XEL then a sportscat off the shelf to keep everything legal - fit an additional boss after the cat to wire in ur 2nd lambda sensor..

BUT

seeing as the twinport has a different header setup then the earlier XEL manifold wont fit the twinport as it has an extra outlet just after port no 4.

your only real viable option is to get a custom manifold made up then a fresh pipe from manifold to the part where it joins onto the centre section, a flexi joint for obvious reasons and the important part.... a nice new 200cpi sports cat fitted in the pipework to keep it legal.

It really aint gonna be a cheap option Im afraid so may wanna concentrate on other options and forget the whole decat idea.