Thread: Engine Light On

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine Light On

right the prob is my engine lights just come on and well its on but the cars running 100% no safe mode no flat spots perfect starts up drives and its only after i refitted the engine cover X.X checked all wires their all fine to the looks off things

soooooo

is their any way to do a paper clip test on an astra G z14xe can i really dont wanna pay 75 quid for a diognostics in blackpool unless someone knows off a place in the fy8(st annes lancs) area so help me please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you can self diagnose faults on Z series engine contrary to public opinion.

When you're ready I'll begin.....

With keys out of ignition - press both brake & accelerator pedal at same time and keep them pressed to the floor....

insert key and turn to 2nd click - ignition on but DONT START THE ENGINE

Keep both pedals pressed throughout the procedure....

the EML will flash just like previous models using the paperclip

You will probably find the light flashes 10 times first then a pause then another number, a pause, another number, a pause then another number of flashes.

I say 10 times for the first one as 10 flashes = a ZERO on the fault code and most engine related faults range from P0001 to P0999

If for instance u have the following sequence

10 flashes
    pause
    3 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes

this equals 10,3,10,10 which in turn equates to 0,3,0,0 or P0300 which in turn is "Multiple cylinder misfire"

10 is the only number that becomes another number
    1-9 flashes remain a 1-9 code if that makes any sense

Have a go and let me know how u get on.... if u cant find the cause of the code - do a google with the words "Vauxhall and Pxxxx" (whatever the code is) and see what it comes up with.

I did this last night on a members car and it came up trumps....even when both my code readers didnt diagnose the fault (one ebay £20 special
    and the other £300 one!)

If all else fails then grab ur self a code reader for future diagnostics.

£25 will get u a good one suitable for standard OBD2 models like AstraG from 00-04
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-KKL-OBD-2...2em118Q2el1247

£30 will get u the same as above but with the addition of CANBUS applications such as latest generation of Vauxhalls ie Astra H, Vectra C etc etc
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAN-Bus-OBDII-...2em118Q2el1247

HTH

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply and sorry forthe other post sorry for it because this is the wrong section gonna go try it now is their anywereto get the fault codes from

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my fault now turns out its not the engine management light (one with spanner) its just an engine in orange >.< dus this mean my engine is ****ed or what ????????????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does the symbol have a little fan in the middle?
    If so theres a fault somewhere in the cooling system - but first of all simply check your coolant level as this sometimes trips the light.

Does the light look like it has a kinda tap on the top?

Take a look at pages 31 & 32 of this pdf file to see exactly what i mean
    http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/static/...traApr2003.pdf

Its going to either be your cooling light or emissions light

If u cant rectify it yourself then its going to need a hook up im afraid.

Maybe post in your regional forum if u dont wish a trip to a garage to have it diagnosed...sum1 local maybe able to help

First of all though, have a look at the above pdf and see if u can establish what light it actually is first.

Usually the light would need to be flashing whilst driving if there was a serious fault - a constant light usually just means theres a fault somewhere and further diagnosis is required

***Did u actually do the above self test I mentioned.......may as well, see if theres a fault stored***

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its the emmisions light ugh its just had a new cat on it tho cost so much with it being a mani cat toooooo ffs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a very late 03 1.7cdti and it seems mine has characteristics from both G and H astra's.

For instance if I turn ignition to 2nd click whilst holding in trip counter button it will reset the engine management light. However if I carry out the brake and accelerator pedal trick it will not force the eml to flash.

Just a pointer in case anyone has same age car and me and it isn't behaving!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the pedal trick worked but my light just constently flashes? do uo have any suggestions? see my previous thread to my symptoms thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    you can self diagnose faults on Z series engine contrary to public opinion.

When you're ready I'll begin.....

With keys out of ignition - press both brake & accelerator pedal at same time and keep them pressed to the floor....

insert key and turn to 2nd click - ignition on but DONT START THE ENGINE

Keep both pedals pressed throughout the procedure....

the EML will flash just like previous models using the paperclip

You will probably find the light flashes 10 times first then a pause then another number, a pause, another number, a pause then another number of flashes.

I say 10 times for the first one as 10 flashes = a ZERO on the fault code and most engine related faults range from P0001 to P0999

If for instance u have the following sequence

10 flashes
    pause
    3 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes
    pause
    10 flashes

this equals 10,3,10,10 which in turn equates to 0,3,0,0 or P0300 which in turn is "Multiple cylinder misfire"

10 is the only number that becomes another number
    1-9 flashes remain a 1-9 code if that makes any sense

Have a go and let me know how u get on.... if u cant find the cause of the code - do a google with the words "Vauxhall and Pxxxx" (whatever the code is) and see what it comes up with.

I did this last night on a members car and it came up trumps....even when both my code readers didnt diagnose the fault (one ebay £20 special
    and the other £300 one!)

If all else fails then grab ur self a code reader for future diagnostics.

£25 will get u a good one suitable for standard OBD2 models like AstraG from 00-04
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD2-KKL-OBD-2...2em118Q2el1247

£30 will get u the same as above but with the addition of CANBUS applications such as latest generation of Vauxhalls ie Astra H, Vectra C etc etc
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAN-Bus-OBDII-...2em118Q2el1247

HTH

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adamastra1 View Post
    the pedal trick worked but my light just constently flashes? do uo have any suggestions? see my previous thread to my symptoms thanks
    Constant flashing means no fault found. I suggest you start a new thread with your problems as this ones nearly 18 months od
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason